Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Police need to question me about assulting my cousins ex boyfriend who beat her up

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In the space of a sentence you manage to completely contradict yourself. You'd teach your kids to respect the law, but on the other hand if someone deserves a kicking then that's alright to?

I can imagine your kids in 15 years time will be real chips off the old block.
    "What's all this then?"
    "We beat him up cos he looked at us funny."
    Whowhere wrote: »
    In the space of a sentence you manage to completely contradict yourself. You'd teach your kids to respect the law, but on the other hand if someone deserves a kicking then that's alright to?

Where's the contradiction?
    Giving someone a good kicking is not respecting the law....
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

Yep pretty much. The law will would fail in this case where the beaten up female won't press charges. If somedody knocked one of my relatives around, and then I saw him scott free and smug I'd fill him in too. It's rough justice but it's better than none.
    I can imagine your kids in 15 years time will be real chips off the old block.
    "What's all this then?"
    "We beat him up cos he looked at us funny."

Don't be a tit.

Do you think what Nameless did was really that bad? Something he deserved a criminal record for? I don't and I think self preservation in a situation like this is far more important than being honest to the gavers.
    Weekender Offender 
    That depends on your POV really. Respecting someone or something does not have to mean agreeing and obeying.

Er, yes it does. People with respect for the law, obey it, even if they don't agree with it. People with no respect for the law tend to go out and break it.

Skive, if I agree with Nameless' actions or not, it's irrelevant. He was very lucky to get a caution for it, and wouldn't have done if he'd been less than forthright, and if he'd been in trouble before.
    And to suggest he acted out of self-preservation is a load of bollocks, if he or anyone pleaded self-defence in court after a situation like that they'd be ripped apart and you know it.
    Self-preservation is defending someone WHEN they are being attacked. Vigilantism is going up to the person a few weeks after and smacking them. It's understandable, but it's not the law. And if you claim to respect the law, you also say you'd obey it. To say otherwise is to prove you don't respect the law at all.
    So going out and beating someone up because you feel aggrieved is showing regard/consideration or esteem for the law is it?

How would you feel about shooting a burglar in the back because he had the gaul to break into your house then run away?

If anything, knowing there is a law, and deciding that because you don't agree with it you'll do whatever the hell you feel like makes things worse.
    Er, yes it does. People with respect for the law, obey it, even if they don't agree with it. People with no respect for the law tend to go out and break it.

I don't agree. I respect why the law says that violent retalisations are unnaceptable, it's because most often they are. In some cases however the law doesn't work and rough justice is better than this cunt walking around all smug.

And having respect for the law doesn't mean you respect ALL of it.

What good is respecting the law if the law is an ass, it makes you an ass then.
    Skive, if I agree with Nameless' actions or not, it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant, it's just something you don't want to answer becaue I believe it would confict with your line of arguing.

This bloke desereved a few smacks, Nameless certainly wouldn't have deserved a criminal record for it and I think you believe that too.
    He was very lucky to get a caution for it, and wouldn't have done if he'd been less than forthright,

You don't know that at all. Your advice that it'll all work out best if you're honest witht he old bill is foolish. Ask any good solicitor.
    And to suggest he acted out of self-preservation is a load of bollocks, if he or anyone pleaded self-defence in court after a situation like that they'd be ripped apart and you know it.
    Self-preservation is defending someone WHEN they are being attacked. Vigilantism is going up to the person a few weeks after and smacking them. It's understandable, but it's not the law.

You misunderstood.
    Self preservation in not being honest with the police. Self presrvation in the face of conviction is 100x more important than telling the truth.
    Weekender Offender 
    So going out and beating someone up because you feel aggrieved is showing regard/consideration or esteem for the law is it?

If the law can do nothing about it, then taking the law into you own hands is acceptable in my book as long as the resut isn't to bad. This was a bit of a kicking for bloke who'd given a bird a bit of kicking. Fucking have some of your own medicine. Nobody died.
    How would you feel about shooting a burglar in the back because he had the gaul to break into your house then run away?

Totally disproportionate to the crime being commited. If he'd given him a bit of hiding then I would have shook his hand. You don't use lethal force unless for self defence.
    If anything, knowing there is a law, and deciding that because you don't agree with it you'll do whatever the hell you feel like makes things worse.

What's worse is knowing the laws an arse but still obeying it. Then you become and arse.
    Weekender Offender 
    Considering the law was not on my mind at the time. It's easy to say "you broke it, deal with the consequences" but looking at my cousin who is physically and mentally scarred crying and watching him laughing because he got away with it made me extremely angry.

I don't think i could be punished in a way that would bring me out of this ordeal feeling "renewed" in any way or have a deeper respect for the law. Maybe if i knew an assault would mean jail sentence i would not have done it but then again neither would he.

I'm not saying there was an injustice, the police could only work with what they have.

I don't believe what i did was right and that's why they let me off with a caution. But at the end of the day what DO you do in those situations? The fact is it was just a very tense, highly strung situation and i tihnk the police understood that and knew whether i was punished or not it would not make a difference to anything in a positive way.

When you're arrested and you get a solicitor you can ask for the evidence that is being presented against you. So i knew they had me on 4 CCTV cameras with lots of witnesses. It is because of the CCTV that i had no choice but to admit what i did. If there was no CCTV it would probably be my word against his and i could possibly have claimed provocation and brought his previous assault case up to back me up.

At the end of the day i'm no angel, i made the best choice for me, if it thought i could have got away scot free i probably would have lied but i couldn't and to be honest whether did or did not, it doesn't change the way i feel about the whole situation - it's all a load of bollocks, i just want the guy out of my life and drown himself -lol.

The problems with morals and opinions is they're open to interpretation.

Well it's all over with now anyway, hopefully i won't see his scum bag face again. I'm sure if i did and he came for me i'd have a good case against him.
    If you have considered the consequences of your actions fully, including any possible punishment for yourself, as well as harm to others, and you still want to break the law then yes, you have shown it respect. I fully appreciate your job but are you a man or a robot? Are you telling me you have never broken a single law, ever? You've never downloaded something illegally, or broken a speed limit?

I'm all man.....
    Yes I don't know what I'd do in the same situation, and Skive is right. If it were my wife I'd probably risk it all to have a pop at the person who's hurt her. However at the moment I have the luxury of being able to say I respect the law and I obey it, even if I disagree with it sometimes.
    I've lost count the number of times I've had to enforce a law I don't agree with, I do because that's my job and because I respect the reasons for the law being there.

Nameless, I'm not having a pop at you buddy, you're just a convienient example ;)
    Skive wrote: »
    If the law can do nothing about it, then taking the law into you own hands is acceptable in my book as long as the resut isn't to bad. This was a bit of a kicking for bloke who'd given a bird a bit of kicking. Fucking have some of your own medicine. Nobody died.

What's worse is knowing the laws an arse but still obeying it. Then you become and arse.

There in lies the problem. What people think of laws is all a matter of opinion. Nobody is happy all the time and lots of people break laws they don't agree with, because they think the law is an ass, yet other people agree with the law and want it enforced.

Look at fox hunting, loads of people wanted it to remain legal, and think the law is an arse for banning it, hence they carry on doing it. Loads of other people have a different opinion and are glad it's illegal and gladly obey the law.