Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

degree class

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi does anybody know if its possible to work out what degree you are on course for by your results and credits obtained in the years you have completed?? Is it a standard thing or indovidual to your course?! I will ask uni tommorow but i'm drivong myself crazy trying to find out! x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We had a calculator that was constantly updated with our latest grades at uni, and you could type in theoretical grades for your remaining modules to see what you need. Find out whether your uni has one, because otherwise it's literally the most complicated thing in the world.
    thanks i have hunted the uni website! will try again with that info!
    If you can turn what you've got into % then a very rough guide is:

3rd 40%
    2.2 50%
    2.1 60%
    1st 70%
    you also have to consider the weightings in each year, at most unis the first year counts for nought, and my uni was 25/75 split between 2nd and 3rd years...
    I made a similar thread actually! It might help if you're good at maths http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=128633
    ah thanks, well my credits are 20 and i have 5 modules so that is easy enough to work out! I only got 50 which may be a 2:2 if i am lucky?! But thats from 2nd year results. I am still pleased with that (if it is a 2:2 - and i will further investigate!) as i was worried id drop into a third and not be able to claw up to a 2:1 next year which is my aim!
    Yeah at my uni the weightings depended on the course as well. I think mine was first year doesn't count at all, then of the 8 course units completed in years 2 and 3 they weighted the best 6 five times heavier than the worst 2. You need a degree to work out the maths for knowing how to do this!! Ha ha. Hope it works out okay for you whatever your uni does to come up with the results :)
    just rang my uni and that linked method is correct, i would be looking at a 2:2 HURRAY! Also they can choose to combine 2nd and 3rd year results for your degree classification OR if they see a significant jump in grades for 3rd year, evidence of putting in the extra effort, then they will ignore the 2nd year results and base it on your final year if that gives the better degree!

BLOODY FANTASTIC HEY?! I know its not so great for people who slog it out for 3 years straight but its very realistic to accept that 3rd year can make people really buck their ideas up and get into gear! I have a son who is nearly 5 so its been hard to be commited as on evening i just couldnt be bothered working after a long day at uni and then being a mum, but now its the final leg so to speak i will have that extra drive so its fantastic to know it can be recognised!

BUZZ BUZZ! :yippe:
    congrats :) you've done brilliantly!
    Thanks! I cant believe it!! Im re-taking a module over the summer that i havent totally got to grips with but is important for 3rd year(research methods), thats a summer course and totally optional, and im also doing a dissertation preparaton course so im really ready to kick some degree butt now! buzz buzz buzz it continues!! :yippe: