Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Employer hasn't paid me yet...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I worked for a large company via a recruitment agency from May until exactly a month ago.

They dismissed me as I wasn't entitled to leave that I desperately needed for a family situation. They also never gave me a timesheet despite asking for one and in the end made my own.

I e-mailed these to the place I was employed at and they agreed them but said they didn't have the time to print them off, sign them, scan them and send them back. She sent a confirmation to the recruitment agency who then said they could start to process my payment.

This was three weeks ago and my rent is due on Wednesday. I'm shitting myself because my umbrella company has been hassling them for payment as have I. I have not been able to get through to them whatsoever though as the guy who dealt with me is always "in a meeting". I am getting quite scared about this and as my rent date is actually half way through the month because of a previous agreement with my landlord it's already going to be 16 days late. I don't want to have to put it off for more days.

What do I do? I would go to my local CAB but they aren't open till Wednesday, which is too late. My dad said he will start to pay my rent temporarily until I get a new job (which shouldn't be too long) from the 25th of the month but that will be for next months rent and I don't want to pay my landlord too late.

Any ideas of how I can go about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    P.S. Just tried to ring again and now nobody is even picking up!
    You should check your contractual agreement with your agency, mine has a clause stating that even if the company im working at doesnt pay the agency the agency will still pay me, so worth checking that out.
    If you have no luck with that then get on the phone or go down in person to your agency and dont stop hassling them until the situation is sorted
    The agency is miles away and I cannot afford to get to them. Not to mention the big company I went to work for has not only paid them but also paid them significantly more than I will be receiving as is.

The recruitment people are just being cocks as is and it looks like they might even be making me homeless which is so unfair. I did the work and paid for my very expensive travelcards in good faith and now it seems they are trying as hard as possible to not pay me. Particularly when they knew that the only reason I couldn't complete the contract was because my mum died and they felt I wasn't even entitled for time or for that. The day it happened I was told to just go, no questions asked by the employers but then on the train down the recruiters called me and were like "You can't just walk out like that, you need to go back in tomorrow." Which I refused and then proceeded to call me again constantly the next day as I was in the chapel of rest and the funeral directors etc and get quite annoyed when I said I needed a few more days. Sorry, it's just a very emotional thing and I think that the guy in question from the agency needs fucking shooting because of it.
    I'm sure there will be some sort of procedure in place for bereavement and to constantly call you when they were made aware of the situation is a joke.
    Send them a letter and keep a copy yourself, making it clear that you expect to be paid by a certain date (say two weeks from the date of sending the letter) and that if you are not you will be taking legal action against them to reclaim it.
    That should probably scare them enough into paying you but if not, follow up the letter.

You should bare in mind that this is just my opinion and may not be the best course of action, im sure Kermit or someone with a bit of legal knowledge will be along shortly with better advice!
    icey wrote: »
    You should check your contractual agreement with your agency, mine has a clause stating that even if the company im working at doesnt pay the agency the agency will still pay me, so worth checking that out.
    That is in most agency contracts - if you use an umbrella company or not.

Hassle them, write to them (recorded delivery) and ring them and resfuse to hang up until you can speak to someone.

Are they a big agency (Reed/Kellys/Office Angels etc) or a smaller local one?
    As far as I know, the agency is responsible for paying you for your work regardless of whether the company pays them, as they are legally your employer.

Your best bet is to ring Comunity Legal Advice on 0845 345 4345 first thing Monday morning to find out where you stand. It could well be a case of having to sue the agency for your money. Did you keep a record of your hours worked?