Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Another ebay question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I sold something on ebay the other day, they said they were sending a cheque. I've been away for 4 days and got back today, got the cheque but logged on to ebay to find they'd deleted their account. They'd only made it a few days before too so had no feedback. Should I just cash the cheque and send it anyway or leave it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you could cash the cheque, but check that it clears first before posting the item, or you could just leave it, dont cash the cheque or post the item. Its up to you really.
    Most likely a con artist.
    I'd personally say, don't use eBay. (They just got fined 13million too, whoo!).
    As said though, the user was probably a con, though if the cheque didn't bounce, I wouldn't let it bother you. I'd relist it though.
    Leave it, dont cash the cheque (I never take accept payment anyway but paypal on ebay because cheque fraud/cons are so common) and use either second chance or relist the item.
    Just to bump, I resold the item and posted it today. Only I just got a message from the old buyer asking why they hadn't recieved the item, I checked and it still says they are no longer a registered user. So how were they able to contact me just now? I never cashed the cheque so I haven't done anything wrong. It looks a bit fishy especially as they registered so recently and have no feedback. Should I tell ebay?
    maybe they only registered to buy the thing but didnt actually want an ebay account.
    If it was me I would have cashed the cheque and when it had successfully cleared, posted the item as normal.

Id have been pissed off if id sent a cheque for something and you hadnt sent it. They completed their part of the bargain. They (as the buyer) stood to lose more than you did by removing their ebay account after posting the cheque but before receiving the goods
    maybe they only registered to buy the thing but didnt actually want an ebay account.
    If it was me I would have cashed the cheque and when it had successfully cleared, posted the item as normal.

Id have been pissed off if id sent a cheque for something and you hadnt sent it. They completed their part of the bargain. They (as the buyer) stood to lose more than you did by removing their ebay account after posting the cheque but before receiving the goods

Then they should have waited until after getting the goods before deleting their ebay account.

It's naive to assume that this is anything other than a small-time scam. Various cons work by sending out cheques which appear to clear but are then rejected later.
    I've just had another email off them from a different address saying it was a present for their brain damaged sister who is now upset. They said ebay suspended their account but they don't know why and I should have let them know but I had no way because the account was gone. It may be true but I'm very sceptical. I don't understand why ebay would suspend a new account though?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I've just had another email off them from a different address saying it was a present for their brain damaged sister who is now upset. They said ebay suspended their account but they don't know why and I should have let them know but I had no way because the account was gone. It may be true but I'm very sceptical. I don't understand why ebay would suspend a new account though?
    because they're scammers
    I've just contacted ebay to ask if this is true.
    It does say somewhere on eBay that if you've bought something and the other person has since deleted their account then just ignore it and don't pay, so I assume it applies the other way around too.
    Well after the emotional blackmail I do think it's probably a scam of some sort. It just all seems very weird. I'll see what ebay say when they get back to me.
    Ignore it, what can they do, leave you bad feedback lol, on what account
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Well after the emotional blackmail I do think it's probably a scam of some sort. It just all seems very weird. I'll see what ebay say when they get back to me.

The brain-damaged sister line just confirms that it is a scam.