Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Facebook photo rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm really posting this as i'm a little stuck with regards to Facebook. Realise i might have this in the wrong topic area so sorry if i have.

Basically i've asked all friends of mine not to post photographs of me on facebook or any other social networking site as a) i don't like my photograph being on the internet like that, b) i've had privacy problems in the past with someone pretty much using the internet to stalk and send abusive messages and c) it's just not something i wish for my friends to do.
Now in my mind whether people agree with this or not it's my personal wish and people i know/friends should respect this. I've had a few of my friends moan when i've asked them to remove pictures but overall my friends understand that i like it. I'm an intensely private person.
But unfortunately there is one person who will not remove photographs of me from a night out off her profile and i can't seem to work out how to get them off :no: Facebook wash their hands of it as according them other people are allowed to post whatever pictures they want of you, regardless to your wishes, unless they're abusive/drug related/sexual.
Now in my mind this is just plain wrong, it should be an individuals own right to allow this and not someone elses.
Is it just me that's bizarre and feels like this and is there really anything i can do about this? I just don't want the man and woman who hassled me before to find out my new details through friends or find out my name on facebook (it's a nickname) and start up the abuse again.
I know i could leave facebook but to be honest the problem of images on the net would still be there.

Comments

• Options
    You can remove the tag on facebook so that it doesn't show up as you. But beyond that, if Facebook won't remove it, there's not a right lot you can do without taking legal action. Facebook should not be publishing photos of you without your consent for commercial reasons. Facebook is a commercial operation. You could try that tack with them, but Facebook are owned and run by cunts so I don't think you'll get far.
  • Options
    Cheers Kermit, that's pretty much what i was thinking, just wanted someone who knew more to sort of back me up on that one.
    I just think it's morally wrong that the person in question has no say over their own image being shown. One of the lads i work with got quite cocky about it when i asked his gf to take one down. Told me that i had no right as she took the photo. Soon sorted out his arguement but left me with a bad taste in the mouth. Cheeky twat called me weird as well :chin:
  • Options
    I don't know how far you'd get.

Facebook will argue that it's not commercial, that they are solely a service provider and not using the picture for commercial purposes. Likewise the person putting the photo up isn't using it for commercial purposes.

I assume you've removed all links to the photo from your profile etc and got your profile set so no one can see any photos?

Beyond that it's worth remembering that even if someone sees this picture, all they will be able to do is see you in it, and possibly work out where you are and who some of your friends are. Whether that's a problem to you or not I don't know.
  • Options
    There is a law you can persue, its the data protection act and basically any personally identifiable information is protected by these laws. A photograph of you I think would count as someone can identify you from your photograph, obviously :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information#United_Kingdom_.26_Ireland thats a list of the laws that apply

It came up on a tech forum I frequent fairly recently, this guy had posted on a web forum and been kicked off and wanted anything relating to him to be removed in case someone did a google search found it. Now, I think you can force someone to remove data if you can argue it may cause distress or damage having it up there.

I know with photographs, photographers have the right to take photos of pretty much anything they like (within the confines of decency and common sense), but as above if they are publishing it on a public website then regardless if they are making money or not its getting a bit iffy.

I mean, look at googles streetcam thing, they have designed a face recognition technology specifically to blur everyones face so nobody is personally identifiable. If for example you have embarressing photos of you it could impact someones opinion of you which could be deemed to be causing you 'distress or damage' so google have opted to remove any issues of liability by blurring faces.
  • Options
    Data Protection Act is very unlikely to be of any use to you, just to stop you getting your hopes up. It applies to personal information and casual photography is not covered by it.
  • Options
    as said, remove tags, go to the privacy setting on your account and make sure that pictures that DO get tagged of you arent shown when people go onto your profile

other than that, i'm afraid ya gonna have to just stop having ya photo taken by people if they're on facebook!
  • Options
    Whoever took the photograph owns the copyright. There is nothing that you can do, especially if the photo was taken in public. Heat, OK, The Sun, etc wouldn't have much to print if there was...

I'd suggest you just untag the photo and make sure your privacy settings mean that only your friends can find you/see your profile/etc. And try very politely persuading this person if it really bothers you... I wouldn't hold out much hope of facebook or anybody else taking action however.
  • Options
    Yes legally I think you would have a pretty slim chance of getting the photos removed. "commercial use" is an interesting tact but probably unlikely to get very far, as it could well be argued firstly that no party is making any money by publishing the shot, and secondly that the photo is being used for editorial purposes (IE social "news") and therefore not requiring of any permission/release.