Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

DSA Assessment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've recently been diagnosed with a Specific Learning Disability.

Anyone had a DSA assessment for this and can tell me how it works? I know I should be able to find out from the uni, but not there at the moment.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I had one. It was amazing. We sat down with the assessor and she asked me loads of questions. Mine's probably different to yours as mine is a physical disability rather than a learning one, so mine was about the specific equipment I'd need, and things like a laptop, dictaphone, ergonomic chair, computer software etc. I was also recommended extra time in exams and a note taker/scribe for them too - which I think is what they'd usually recommend for most people with learning difficulties too.
    Simply, it was the most validating and useful things I ever did. Well worth the time and effort.
    i agree. very very very helpful and i know its made my time at uni a lot easier. if not through the equipment/money/etc you may recieve, then through the simple fact that any disability you have is "official", as opposed to you telling people on a person-to-person basis.
    Thanks for that guys.

I've got my Ed Pysch assessment and that was done thruogh the uni, so things are heading the right direction. I'm going to do the DSA assessment, they think I should have some study skills sessions and apparently the easiest way to arrange those is as part of the DSA assessment (or something along those lines). I was really just interested in how it works, what it's like etc.
    If I'm thinking of the right one then she asked me questions about what I find difficult and if I already have coping mechanisms. Also she gave me tips and showed me some of the software that she would be reccomending to me. It was just a casual chat really and them showing off the gadgets they will probably give you :)
    Had mine the other day. It was just as 'Ilora- Danon' wrote. They are there to help, so are generally nice... in my experience anyway. Good luck with it.
    I appreciate they are there to help, but I am totally new to all this, so have no real clue what's on offer or anything like that.

I've made it to the age of 21 before anyone has noticed what my problems are, and they show now because of my uni and I my compensating skills just aren't good enough any more.

So if it's a sit down and chat through what I have problems with, it sounds like it would be useful for me to sit down before hand and work out what I have problems with and how I differ to other students. Up until now I've never realised that the way I did things was different, or my problems had been put down to being sloppy/lazy.