Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lying about being a student to get a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys.

I phone a few agencies every day, have a little notebook of when they want me to call back and such, today spoke to one and the lady was nice and said they had some warehouse work in lutterworth (about 25 minutes from me so good), then she went away for a moment to check it I assume, came back and said;

"did you say you were a student?"
"yep"
"sorry, we're not taking on any students at the moment"

:crazyeyes

I'm tempted to just pretend I've left uni for whatever reason and then give my notice in september. It's really gutting because these are temporary roles too (with the 'potential' to become permenent) so nothing I wouldn't be able to do.

Spoken to some other students on another forum and it seems we are all in the same boat because of the credit crunch. Even McDonalds refused to interview me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mmm, I've been pretending I've left education rather than on a gap year and its got me more interviews at 'less-respected' places.

Investment banks/financial services were all keen on me and my offer to study at Durham next year but temping agencies would only take me on when I edited my CV to say I had no plans for uni.

In my op, it doesn't really matter if its a temp job anyway and you'll be able to stay for the whole time. But you probably won't get a good reference if your employers find out later.
    I just dont like lying :( but to be turned down simply because I was a student, in some ways feels like discrimination..
    Lol, I know what you mean, its very frustrating. Say you're "between commitment"? Then its not technically lying...

But I'm the sort of person who said she'd lie about the "little things" on today's poll, whereas I suppose you'd hit the "Never" option? :)
    maeinfin wrote: »
    Lol, I know what you mean, its very frustrating. Say you're "between commitment"? Then its not technically lying...

But I'm the sort of person who said she'd lie about the "little things" on today's poll, whereas I suppose you'd hit the "Never" option? :)

I'm an idealist *shrug*
    Then its a toss-up between your ideals and your need for a job. :)

Keep hunting, there are some places which prefer students. (charities who need people to stand on the streets, etc). I'm sure you'll get somewhere eventually.
    Are you a student....

Well, are you a student this week? Are you currently studying at uni? Nope, it's the holidays, so you're not a student. Problem solved and it's not really lying.
    Are they actually allowed to not take you on cause you're a student?
    Are you a student....

Well, are you a student this week? Are you currently studying at uni? Nope, it's the holidays, so you're not a student. Problem solved and it's not really lying.

It's not lying, but on my CV and covering letters I say when I'm available from and til and that I'm looking for a temporary position. My (somewhat dodgy) uncle has said just lie cos if I'm only there for a few months it wont matter anyway.

And ballerina; I think its one of those things they can get away with. It's just annoying not to even get an interview.
    Young man, I suggest you edit your CV and covering letters, or at least save the current ones and use an edited on for some stuff.

Think from the employers side, why would you want to take on someone who is going going to be there a number of weeks.

You can always go for the 'I finished the year at uni and I don't know what I want to do next so looking for employment'.
    Personally I wouldn't lie because I feel uncomfortable doing that... If they do find out it might all back-fire. And not sure if it would or not - but wouldn't it affect like tax and stuff and P45 etc? (I really have no idea about that, so it might not affect it at all).

Everyone is finding it hard to get jobs full stop these days; I know my employers aren't recruiting anyone at all at the moment, student or not. (It's really leaving the rest of us in the shit too, but that's how things go). So even if you did lie on your CV you might find it no easier to get a job anyway.
    Well next week am going to start omitting the student part, not lying about it, will put the line that I've put my education on hold due to financial issues. Try and get a paper round or whatever else. I'm considering going self employed and doing PC fixing as I have the technical know how but really I dont have official qualifications (I'm no cowboy though) and I don't want to get in trouble with anything (i.e. someone blames me for their PC not working, or something).

Might look at some volunteering opportunities in the meantime I don't think I can enrich my CV much more, volunteering took up a page already and has had to be condensed, but just to do something productive and not waste time. I've tended to find a lot of the time though if you do it 'formally' they get you to do a paid persons job so they can take a bigger wedge of profit.
    It wouldn't be lying on your CV it will be omitting details on future plans. There is nothing that says you have to give your future plans. You give an honest description of your achievements thus far.

Up to this point you have been in full-time education and achieved such-and-such grades, and have done whatever work experience.

If this is an accurate description then it is not a lie.
    Ah right. I have resorted to being a bit... evasive about it now and not including plans to return to university, but have stated I am still at university. If they ask I will say I have put my education on hold though for financial reasons.

I worked out, if I don't work this summer, and sell some of my stuff (motorbike, xbox 360 and nintendo ds), I'm still going to be going back to uni with over 2 grand of debt :( so it might not be that far from the truth!
    Am assuming you have accomodation at uni through the summer, but have you tried applying for stuff there too?
    Am assuming you have accomodation at uni through the summer, but have you tried applying for stuff there too?

Not really. I suppose I could do, but its a fair trek and I enjoy getting to see friends for the summer. I've got a job there after the summer has finished...

I may as well have a look though, thanks for the heads up.
    Heehee, somewhere rejected me so I phoned up and pleaded kind of for a job and said I am not 100% sure I'm going back to uni and am urgently looking for a job, she gave me an interview monday :cool:

Begging works. :thumb: I guess if they see you're serious about work and want to chase them up when they reject you then its a good sign... apparently my CV does not have enough admin emphasis though...
    Check your email, if you didn't get one from me about your CV PM and I'll try again.

As a rule though, while you should have a generic CV you start from, you should twiddle it for each job you apply for to emphasise your relevant skills/experience.

This particularly applies if you are a student, sometimes you'll be after bar work, other times work placement/experience relevant to your course, and then sometimes temp/agency stuff all of which will look for very different things.
    Yea I got the email :) just having to digest everything at the minute. But your tips are pretty much exactly what the recruiter said to me too :p I've even changed the title of my CV to 'Administrative Assistant' instead of my name.
    Nice to know we agree!

Obviously only leave it as that when applying for Admin Assis jobs, and make sure you've put your name somewhere else on there!
    Just say you dropped out. That's what I did when I was looking for jobs through agencies last summer. I didn't manage to get a job though because there were none left as I applied too late :grump:
    Persistance seems to pay off! I had a one day job today and hopefully am starting a per-temp role on monday! Basically it was one of the agencies I rang two weeks ago made a note of my name and number, and when something came up and they needed more people they called me straight in!
    I hate warehouse work *flops on the floor dead*

I don't know how anyone expects a 5'3 guy to pick up a sofa chair kind of thing from above shoulder height! I can't even get my arms round it :(

But hopefully next week or so I should be doing adminny stuff. Need to be up at 5am tomorrow too :(
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I hate warehouse work *flops on the floor dead*

I don't know how anyone expects a 5'3 guy to pick up a sofa chair kind of thing from above shoulder height! I can't even get my arms round it :(

But hopefully next week or so I should be doing adminny stuff. Need to be up at 5am tomorrow too :(

Lol, I did warehouse work when I was 18. Didn't like it that much but it probably kept me fit and moving things around can keep you strong too.

Sitting behind a computer all day is much worse - assuming you're not actually programming but doing something tedious and boring like data input is much worse than packing or moving boxes.

I did learn something very useful from my warehouse work. I know how to wrap a parcel properly. I am still fairly expert in doing that.
    Just say you dropped out. That's what I did when I was looking for jobs through agencies last summer.

When is the best time to apply?