Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Waxing/Sugaring

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I'm going on holiday in just over 6 weeks and I'm thinking about getting my legs and bikini line waxed (dreading the pain though!)
Has anyone had sugaring done as I noticed on a website its better for sensitive skin - which I do have however when i get my eyebrows waxed they don't even go red!!!

Comments

• Options
    Well I've booked appointment for legs and bikini wax on Sat any advise?

(I'm also Wisecrack - somehow I have two accounts)
  • Options
    Use Johnson's baby lotion to help take the sting out of bikini line waxing. Calamine lotion is lovely also.

Poppi
  • Options
    Thanks! I dunno what to expect to be honest!
    ANything I should do before hand?? Wear anything specifically?
  • Options
    I found only the first time of having bikini line waxed as being the most painful. The waxing lady said this is because once the follicles are damaged in the original process, the hair will come out more readily the second time round. For afters I apply a hydrocortisone cream, or aloe vera gel that is lovely. Do you have Body Shop near you? There is one in Athens I visit to buy “Ginger Body Soufflé” that gives real long lasting moisturizing. Also their Aqua Lily Body Lotion is pretty cool, too.

Beforehand I rarely use a pre-gel because now I do it myself which is cheaper and more convenient because I’m at home. I use the cheaper Greek creams and gels specifically for my bikini line, though some are geared for more sensitive skin that I have. There must be similar to where you live. There is a great hair remover called Veet Mousse Bladeless Lemon (lemon scented, so much better than that foul almondy stuff). I leave for up to 10 minutes then dive into the shower to wash it away.

But when I want a more longer lasting bikini line, I but a home waxing kit (it’s also Greek manufactured) but I'm sure you could something similar. :)

Poppi
  • Options
    I can only use sugar wax on my eyebrows as bikini hair is much too coarse or just too stubborn I guess and it doesn't come off at all. Just that wonderful pulling sensation and a stip full of wax and no hair :p

Waxes that are designated as brazillion are usually pretty good... but the one I could never wax without is http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=146 There is no way that wax is coming off of you (or anything) without everything coming off with it! Amazing stuff. Though unfortunatly I didn't see that specific one in the UK site, but I should imagine http://www.sallyhansen.co.uk/products/depilatories/extra-strength-depilatories/ (the first one) would be pretty similar.
  • Options
    Personally I'd suggest 2 paracetamol or Ibuprofen an hour before you go. Takes the edge off, and because you know it's taking the edge of you relax more so hurts less.
  • Options
    Yeesh, bikini line will hurt a lot more than the legs does. I tried it once and never went back. It gets less painful the more you do it though (a bit like sex for girls actually...heh). Moisturising your legs with a non-scented/plain cream afterwards will make you feel better.

I think the best advice would be to take a deep breath and grit your teeth - at least the whole process is actually very quick.
  • Options
    Well I've been waxed and it wasn't sore at all!!! Even my bikini line wasn't sore!!
    So def doing it again, found it relaxing!