Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Holiday jobs.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
K, so I've decided that if I don't get any stars soon (it sounds petty, but I've been there over two years and I have fuck all, I should have been promoted by now and I've got people who've been there six months telling me "you can't tell me what to do, I have more stars than you") I need a new job. Because I'm sick of McDonalds and it's making me fat again.

Buttt I can obviously only work uni holidays, so I don't know who will take me on :/. I will not go to a supermarket because that would be just as shit. Would clothes shops (namely Dotty P's because I :heart: there) do just holiday work? Especially because I was gonna apply to the one in Canterbury anyway...

I hate looking for jobs though :(. Argh.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, retail places take holiday people. No harm in applying.
    Go to an agency! They do all the job hunting work for you, interviews are not normally a problem (cause they dont normally happen for temp staff), and the pay is much higher than you will get with a retail job
    Alot of clothes shops and supermarkets are able to transfere you to a shop more local when you go back to uni if there are jobs avaliable. It happened alot when I worked at JJB and I know some people wh I work with at Sainsburys do the same :)
    Lol I tried to get a job for mcdonalds and after applying online never heard anything back, even though there are tonnes of positions in the area. Not 100% related but I thought having a poke at myself for failing so hard I can't get a job for mcdonalds is pretty funny :/

Or is there some secret 'in the know' trick to it? ;)
    Morrisons don't generally take on staff during the summer because it's so quiet when students go home that they don't need to. If you get a job there during term time though you can transfer home during the holidays and work fulltime then. I know you aren't looking for supermarket work (which isn't really that bad for a holiday job) but thought I would add anyway.
    My brother worked in Tescos for his gap year and used to go back when he was home for the holidays but never worked during ter time at uni.

A few people when I worked in evans would work there in the term-time/holidays and the transfer to a local shop when the went back to uni/home.
    I don't reeeeeeeeally want to do agency work because a) it's a bit late now, and b) I want something I can come back to at Christmas.

Bah, we'll see how this week goes. I got mega pissed off last week because of varying things but if this week is any better I will see.

Bah.
    Hi Franki!!
    i used to work at macdonalds when i was younger.. it was a pain - stars r 4 loosers (i didnt wear um) hehehe and working there is well stressfull having bitches moan that their burgers not hot!! lol i packed that in after a year.

i think that retail shops do employ for holidays but its all at the managers discretion/HR's decision if they are willing to give you a contract for just the holiday period.. what you could do is apply and once you get the job leave when your back at uni, i used to do this at M&S and they did take me on 3 times even though i left - i was upfront and told them i was a student.

well goodluck with it all hope you get a less stressfull job!!
    That's just it - I don't want to quit when I go back to uni because I need a job for when I come back at Christmas/Easter/next summer.

Stars may be for losers but I still want mine :p. Especially when I keep getting told "you should be 5 star by now".
    The Co-op do student contracts, all you need to do is to make sure that the gaps between working there are less than a year long.
    The Co-op do student contracts, all you need to do is to make sure that the gaps between working there are less than a year long.
    Is that just the supermarkets?

Actually, the only Co-op (aside from the department store one in town where I'm assuming you're employed by the bit you're working in (TopShop/Wallis etc)) in Braintree is a little corner shop one that is not hiring and rejected me last year anyway ;(.
    The co op where I worked was terrible to the staff because of performance targets for the managers. But apparently the local one isn't too bad. Having said that, there have been lots of assaults on the staff in the past few years and the co op 'people' still refuse to hire a 'loss prevention officer.

But any jobs a job. If I still have no luck by the end of the week I'm going to try doing some self employed PC fixing over the summer.