Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does Anyone Here Read Braille?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been advised to do this, as I'm struggling with reading. (not because I can't read; but because it's difficult, due to the way my eyes work)

Anyway, does anyone know where I can learn it? And it is hard to learn?

Comments

• Options
    No but i know a man who does.

Its quite a simple idea - you have 6 dots which are arranged like this

. .
    . .
    . .

The different letters of the alphabet, numbers and symbols are made up using different combinations of the dots
    so A = . B = . C= .. P = . .
    . .

So you only have to learn the alphabet not a whole new language. To write braille you get these plasic grids which you put over a normal sheet of paper - and then you use a kind of pointy thing to poke into the paper and make the dots appear on the other side.

You can also get a braille printer which will print out text into braille and a braille reader which you can attatch to your computer and which will turn text on the screen into braile for you to feel at the bottom of your key board. In addition to this you can also get jaws which is software which turns text on a screen into speach so that you hear rather than read as it were.

if you get really good at it there are braille computers which look really strange as they obviously only need to have 6 buttons - which you press in combination to make up a letters etc - plus a few for navigation and no screen.
  • Options
    Very useful, thanks. :)