Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Citalopram and sex drive...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably more to do with sex but I wanted to post it in here as I'm more likely to get the response I'm after..

I'm on Citalopram for anxiety and depression (:() and since I began taking it a couple of weeks ago I've noticed a massive drop in my sex drive...is this normal? I don't even know if it's related to the medicine or if it's just a coincidence but I'm usually a very sexually active kind of person and it's suddenly all gone...

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal and will it come back?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unfortunatly lowered sex drive is a very common side effect in ssri's. Can't tell you from experience if it will ever come back, I'm still hoping :p... but I'm still on them. But I believe if/once you have been weaned off of them your sex drive does return. Hope all is getting better for you, hun :)
    Yeppppp. i get that too. makes it more difficult to come aswel, and it was pretty difficult before, so now its like working a miracle
    Sex drive comes back when you stop taking it. It may even improve if you've been on it a while longer.

Not sure if it was with this particular SSRI - I've had goodness knows how many different types. But with one particular brand/type, I'd literally have a hard-on for three-quarters of the day. Even if I relieved myself - and it took 3-4 hours each time - I'd still find another semi with extreme ease.

I think my record was ~16 hours of masturbation in the one day. It was hell. I'm sure a few women would have loved being the recipient of such 'fun', but christ, it hurt like hell...

Good luck :-).