Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Some advice, old battered car vs new car

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, just after some advice as I'm really not sure what to do.

I have a battered old ka, had it for about 2 years now and it has never been in decent working order. My mot has just run out and I've already been told by my garage that it won't pass without work being done on it. I'm not surprised to be honest, as it hasn't passed an mot first time since I've had it. It's a v-reg and has done about 120,000 miles.

I've found a loooovely car, only 3 years old, good insurance quote, etc, but it's gonna cost me. The only way I can get this car is either on finance or by getting a bank loan, and I have a bit of bad credit (not my fault, am in dispute with the bank at the moment) so I'm not sure I'll even get a decent quote. As it's Sunday I can't do much, which is driving me nutty, but am going to go talk nicely to my bank manager tomorrow morning.

So, if you were in my position what would you do? Either get the old car fixed up (again) and see how long it lasts, or bite the bullet, get a bit of debt but a decent car?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probably get the newer car, because the old one will end up costing you plenty dollar as it goes.
    Agreed, once you've got to a point with a car where it needs work doing to it, it's best to get rid. You'll just be pouring money into it only for it to break down again, which it will.
    You could do neither, find yourself a cheaper car?
    If it was me I'd get the newer car, worth it in the long run.
    I seem to change my car every 18-24months never had to put a car through a MOT, I still live at home so I'm keeping it up while I can! But I know everyone is not so lucky
    I'd be tempted to get the older car costed first of all. If you can get it through its MOT for a couple of hundred quid you'd be best off flogging it for a bit longer. If it's going to be £500 to get it through the MOT then it's probably not worth it.

We just got rid of our Y-reg Fiesta for the same reason. It was starting to rust and was going to cost big money to get it through the MOT, it was tired after 118,000 miles. But we've kept it going for a couple of years because £300 to get it through the MOT was cheaper than the finance package on a newer one.
    Thanks for your advice guys, have decided to keep going with the old car for now and just save like crazy! Then hopefully I'll either be able to afford another car, or get a smaller loan, which I think will be better in the long run.
    I was going to say get your car fixed up. Hey you should see the old smokers being driven around Kalymnos. Brake lights / indicators they don't work. Reg plates non existant sometimes and there's no MOT's. It's common to see coachwork all dented and scratched, typical Kalymnos cars!

Until your credit rating improves it's best to make do and mend. car prices here for new is way high which is why we get along with what we got.

Poppi