Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buy a car, get a free gun

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They dont have to pick the gun, they could get a $250 petrol voucher instead, they are just choosing the gun.

I'm curious as to your views on these people, you seem to be suggesting that just wanting a gun is a sign of mental derangement.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    I'd choose a Yank over most Europeans any day :yes:

You`re an absolute plank.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I'm curious as to your views on these people, you seem to be suggesting that just wanting a gun is a sign of mental derangement.

:yeees: I want a gun ;)

People assuming crap, again? budda?
  • Options
    Virus wrote: »
    :yeees: I want a gun ;)

People assuming crap, again? budda?

I really have no idea what you mean, sorry.
  • Options
    You said

"I'm curious as to your views on these people, you seem to be suggesting that just wanting a gun is a sign of mental derangement"

and I replied to that comment

meaning that you are saying people are assuming crap/bollox?
  • Options
    meaning that you are saying people are assuming crap/bollox?

Yes, I think they are.

I do definitely think guns should be controlled, but mearly holding one doesnt turn you into a killer, there is a massive social aspect to it.

Canada has loads of guns, as do the Swiss, but their crime is much lower than the US, and the South Africans are even worse.
  • Options
    Yes, I think they are.

I do definitely think guns should be controlled, but mearly holding one doesnt turn you into a killer, there is a massive social aspect to it.

Canada has loads of guns, as do the Swiss, but their crime is much lower than the US, and the South Africans are even worse.

Falling into this category, a well known rapper sung, guns don't kill people, people do
  • Options
    Falling into this category, a well known rapper sung, guns don't kill people, people do

Granted, but having wide spread unlicenced access to guns makes people killing people a lot easier.
  • Options
    Its the mentality of the gun owners, maybe if there was a background check, or psycological assessment for the gun owners it could help cut down gun crime rates
  • Options
    Its the mentality of the gun owners, maybe if there was a background check, or psycological assessment for the gun owners it could help cut down gun crime rates

Its very unlikely any background checks or periods of waiting before you get your gun would make any difference what so ever in the US.

The second hand market is almost totally unregulated, I dont know whether it has changed but up until recently as long as under 50% of your income came from trading guns you didnt need to declare it to anyone (except the tax man).
  • Options
    America, the land of many laws with absolutely no moral behind them
  • Options

Very true, but then states who govern according to their set of morals rarely get it any better.
  • Options

really ? I thought they did thst already but trouble still happens or "human error" hapens and the checks aren't done.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I was watching "No country for old Men" last night. I think guns are great in the hands of a true psychopath! :rolleyes:

and from the little i know anyone can turn into one and we'd all say (the sychiatrest included) "well fancy that we'd never have guessed" but by then he's killed 20 students a couple of teachers and himself
  • Options
    Just in the same way as unexperienced people who carry knives are at more risk of being stabbed than those who don't, the same can be said of guns.

And an escalation of gun ownership by the general public will only result in pretty much all criminals, from pickpockets to burglars, carrying a gun too.

While I respect that some rights are being infringed, the cost is simply too great IMO.
  • Options
    You`re an absolute plank.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn

next.
  • Options

as opposed to New Labour ;)
  • Options
    and from the little i know anyone can turn into one and we'd all say (the sychiatrest included) "well fancy that we'd never have guessed" but by then he's killed 20 students a couple of teachers and himself

So because any one of us without warning could turn into a mass killer guns should be outlawed?
  • Options
    So because any one of us without warning could turn into a mass killer guns should be outlawed?

What would happen if the aliens attacked and we had a limited supply of guns? :yeees:

Theres no reason to outlaw guns really, just crack down on the people who own them, if I owned one it would be mass murder :D
  • Options
    What would happen if the aliens attacked and we had a limited supply of guns? :yeees:

Given our puny weapons I assume we would all die very quickly. Guns really arent any more than just portable cannons, our technology hasnt really moved all that far since the middle ages.
  • Options

theres little need for most of us to carry guns, and using them as bait for car sales is immoral are they buying the car or the gun ? what do they want the gun for ? if they wanted a gun they'd go and buy one. its like tescos saying for every 10'000 club card points you earn you can have a gun what do you thinkwould happen then ? hey I might even get the gun !
  • Options
    The Supreme Court has finally made a ruling on the Second Amendment.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91911234

I found the statement by one of the dissenters interesting.
    In a dissent he summarized from the bench, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority \"would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons.\"

He said such evidence \"is nowhere to be found.\"

Perhaps Justice Stevens would do well to read the legal ramblings of Thomas Jefferson for self enlightenment