Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nasal Drip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I have had 7 infections since last summer and have been at the hospital cos each infection is making my asthma bad, I'm currently on my 8th week off work and signed off for another week after this, I was at the hospital 3 weeks ago and I've to go to ear nose and throat. They think it could be a nasal drip, has anyone had one before and it been soo bad its affected their life like me? or had surgery due to it? I've googled it and not getting much info!
thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had what they reckoned was a post nasal drip, where stuff drips into your throat from your nose and causes aggrevation.

Mine was linked to clogged up sinuses, and used to get regular suspected sinus infections. Had ENT operation to clear it all out, and something done to the inside of my nose which has hugely reduced the problem. In the mean time I had decongestants and nose spray.
    Thats exactly what they think I have but it aggrivates my throat causing a cough which goes into infections in chest/throat.
    I am already taking 2 nasal sprays and anti histamines for hayfever as I notice that can help, I'm thinking I'll need an operation, just want it asap cos its ruining my life can't do anything seem to recover from infection then get hit with another :(
    What was the operation?
    Can't for the life of me remember. I think diatherme came into it somewhere though.

I never got the chest infections though. You tried steaming your head on a regular basis? That always used to help me. I also seem to remember it took a fair while from seeing ENT to getting the surgery.
    tried everything!!!!!!!!!
    well its making my asthma bad and coughing loads too, Ive been off work for 7 weeks and been signed off for another 2 cos its that bad, sleeping for 12 hours at least and constantly feel blocked up its horrible feel like i have the flu.
    I'm due to go on holiday in 7 weeks and i'm getting worried!
    getting private referal to ent people cos i got refered from respiratory people but hospital don't have any record of me and the waiting list is 3 months and I can't carry on like this or i'll shoot myself!
    was the operation sore?
    i've had this, although luckily i don't have asthma so not quite as bad as you. it makes my voice go, to the point where for most of the year I cannot speak :S

A couple of weeks ago i had some surgery to try and sort it out, it's called FESS functional endoscopic sinus surgery, and i think under that they can do stuff like cauterise the nasal lining, and enlarge the sinus passages etc so that they drain better. However, after having this done they now think that the problem isnt' in my sinuses anymore but in my chest >.< grr.

as for soreness, it wasn't too pleasant immediately after for a couple of days, but prescription strength co-codamol sorted me (altho the codeine made me feel ill in its own right lol)

when you say tried everything, have you tried saline irrigation too? do it twice a day regularily. it's not the most pleasant of things. recipe is 3-4 heaped tsps of salt to 2 pints of water, then take a cup of that and with a syringe push the solution up thru one nostril (head tilted to the side and a seal around the syringe with your nose so that it actually goes thru the sinuses) and then let it come out the other side, gently blowing after to get rid of the water. it does really really work. just keep doing it regularily, it takes some time to get used to and to get all the benefits.
    I'm waiting to get appointment with ent people, but keep getting infections and my nose always needs blown, i can't speak in the morning and just feel blocked up and rotten and each infection i get is making me worse i'm sleeping12 hours a day again and go on holiday in 7 weeks and need holiday not been away for about 10 yeaars :o(
    Just feeling downjust now
    yeah I've had numerous appts with ENT and took me ages to get thru to them lol, kept getting fobbed off. seriously try the saline irrigation thing, google it and see the good responses (can also google neti pot)
    And have you actually tried steaming your head?

Either with one of the special thingies or simply a bowl of boililng water, head over it, towel over your head, twice a day? If it's nasal drip/sinus related that can help a lot.