Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pulling out own tooth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you? I'm contemplating it. A filling from a root canal of mine has just fallen out, this one tooth has had to be repaired a million times already and dentist said last time that it couldn't be repaired again and that they'd just take it out. Thing is, I need to not miss work, am pretty busy and my dentist is miles away... Therefore I'm thinking about just pulling it out and being done with it- good or bad idea?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Erm.

Bad.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bad idea

if it doesnt come out properly and a bit gets left in, it might get infected or an abcess or youd need to go to the dentist anyway.
    Didn't think of that. I want it OUT though.
    Bad idea, see the dentist. Everyone loves the dentists.
    I've done that before. It cracked so I pulled it out over the space of like 3 months. If it hurts ultra bad, and pain killers can't get rid of the pain, I know the feeling, that's why I pulled my own out. Bad thing was I was going on holiday for a month and the dentist never had anything for like 5 weeks, so I had no choice really.
    I would see a dentist, just purely because you could end up having more time of work if anything went wrong and you got an infection or it wouldnt come out properly and you were in more pain than you are in now until you could be seen.

Are there no first thing am or last thing pm dentist appointments for an emergency? Not sure if everyones dentist works like that but mine retains an emergency slot for people who need urgent dental work.
    Depends if its loose or if you can loosen it is my guess. Try wiggling it around a bit each day...i wouldnt recommend just yanking it out though but if it comes out easy enough it could also potentially save you 120 odd quid that the dentists charge
    i use to eat an apple when i had a loose tooth. it allways came out. and it alwys bled.
    I get free dental treatment anyway, didn't think about evening appointment, that could solve the problem
    Also, in our area there is an emergency out-of-hours dentist. If yours doesn't do evenings and you really need to be seen, might be worth checking if there's one local to you?

But yeah, I wouldn't do it yourself. Although I totally understand wanting to :yes:
    katralla wrote: »
    Would you? I'm contemplating it. A filling from a root canal of mine has just fallen out, this one tooth has had to be repaired a million times already and dentist said last time that it couldn't be repaired again and that they'd just take it out. Thing is, I need to not miss work, am pretty busy and my dentist is miles away... Therefore I'm thinking about just pulling it out and being done with it- good or bad idea?

Filling?

Where's the crown that protects the filling?
    Are there no first thing am or last thing pm dentist appointments for an emergency? Not sure if everyones dentist works like that but mine retains an emergency slot for people who need urgent dental work.

Mine do, and he doesnt charge any examination fees if you book an emergency appointment.
    Try the dentist first, could save you a lot of time and pain in the long run.
    Mine do, and he doesnt charge any examination fees if you book an emergency appointment.
    Try the dentist first, could save you a lot of time and pain in the long run.

:yes:
    Apart from the fact that it's miles away and petrol is so expensive, my dentistry is free, completely free, I don't pay anything so the problem isn't really how much the dentist charges but when I can fit in going to see one... Doesn't hurt now anyway so, it'll just have to wait. Least of my priorities right now but I can see pulling it out is a bad idea just for the fact that it might not come out cleanly and then I really could be in trouble.
    not to mention the fact your remaining teeth then move to fill the gap - the bone loss as well - but what about my question about the cap?
    Not all root canal fillings will have caps.
    i wouldnt pull the tooth out yourself