Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Making a will

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Sorry, it's me again picking your brains :chin: Last one for today I promise! This is also part of the new selection of articles we are writing in partnership with CAB.

Have any of you written a will yet? Are you planning on doing so in the near future? Are you a bit freaked out by writing one? Do you worry about what to leave etc.? Are we too young to write them or is there never a 'right time'?

Would be really interesting to hear any views on this, if you'd like to contribute to the fact sheet (we are going to go out and vox pop people on this as well in the near future) then please get in touch or I will have a read of any discussions in this thread and see what you all think about it.
Cheers all
:wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think I need some things to leave people before making a will :p
    Right now any "death benefit" I've got (for work x4 my salary, and £1k from my union, and two personal accident policies) is nominated to my parents but they know to give some of it to my boyfriend, and my sister or my mum will get my car.

When I have children, then I'll make a will. I don't own property but we'd have to consider what would happen to the child[ren] (where they would live and provision for that property - ie if my boyfriend died, would we be able to keep living in his house?) and that kind of thing.

I'm open with my mum about my debts and keep my paperwork somewhere anyone could find it, so they could organise getting them paid off and not find any nasty surprises.
    At the moment everything would just go to my mum anyway, including my life insurance payment, house, car etc. I don't have any dependents etc that I want my things split between so I don't see the point making a will as it will just say what would happen naturally anyway.

Once I get married/settle down with a partner or have kids that will all change and at that point I'll write a will.
    If one can even make a simple will, leaving everything to, say, your parents, it's a good idea because the estate can take ages to wrap out without one. I have 'death' benefits from work, life insurance, savings and some shares that will be easier distributed with my will in place.
    Never thought about making a will, but as it is i only have a car, which is in my mums name anyway! I live at home, so havent felt the need to. No one is dependant on me, so once i become married and have children then i will write one for sure.
    kangoo wrote: »
    I think I need some things to leave people before making a will :p

ditto :D
    apart from a vast array of clothes and junk ive acumulated during my time at uni - i dont have much

i 'accidentally' viewed my dads one a while back tho when i was going through computer at his work which kinda shocked me :crazyeyes
    When I have property/dependants then yes, at the moment I dont have anything to leave.

My parents still dont have wills, but are coming round to the idea after my mum went on a retirement course and found out just how complicated the probate rules can get.
    I don't have one yet, but like everyone else, will make one when I have dependants. I assume everything would go to my husband at the moment, which is fine with me.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    bump
    Pearly wrote: »
    bump

Oi! *bumps back*

;)