Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

pill question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started using the pill at the beginning of the month, so I'm coming to the end of my pack. Is it safe to go onto the next packet without the 7 day break, or is it preferred to have the 7 day break ?

Comments

• Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hiya,

It isn't 'unsafe' to not have your seven day break, but it depends why you are doing it. If it's just a one off, say you are going on holiday or there is another reason, then it's fine, lots of women do it on their doctor's advice.

If you want to do this every month though you need to talk it through with your doctor to discuss why you don't want to have the withdrawal bleed and if it's safe for you to do this. Sometimes women with endemetriosis are advised they can run three packs together, but then to have a break for a month, but this depends on the individual. You may find you still get spotting and get cramps even if you don't have a break if it's been a while since you took the seven day break, so it may not always be for the best. You are covered though against pregnancy if you don't take your seven day break and you've taken your pills correctly, so in that respect, yes you are safe to do so.

Have a read of this for some more information:

NHS direct