Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how can i stop stressing over my school work ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im 15 in the middle of my GCSE's , so far i've done 2 GCSE exams and they have both been quite hard and when i revise the questions are totally different from what i expect. im doing realli rubbish in mainly all subjects and i want to get better, because i dont want to be a failure in life but at the moment it seems to me i will be. i got the lowest out of my whole class in french listening - i got a E and everyone else got A's. i revise for the tests but i still get rubbish marks !!!
how can i get much better grades ?
how can i stop stressing ?
how can i stop being a failure ?
1 second ago - 3 days left to answer.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I was the same. I would say...

1. Organise - I drew up a list of revision that I needed to do and crossed it off as I did it. It gives a sense of satisfaction because you can see the progress
    2. The only way to get better grades is to apply yourself. Practice as much as you can, past papers if you can get hold of them or even the syllabus from the exam boards - they tell you what you need to know.
    3. Rescue remedy
  • Options
    CharlygirlCharlygirl Deactivated Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    Exams are a stressful time for everyone - remember you?re not alone and there?s a lot of help and advice out there to support you through this period. Here are some practical tips that I found really useful when I was doing my GCSE?s:

?Get the syllabus - You say you are revising but still getting bad marks. This sounds obvious, but you need to make sure you are revising the right topics for each exam. Your teacher should be able to give you a copy of the syllabus which will tell you exactly what you need to cover. You can also buy really useful revision guides which will break down each topic into manageable chunks and will have practice questions for you to try. Make sure they are up-to-date and based on the syllabus you are covering.

?Make a plan! - I found it very helpful to make a day-by-day plan of my exam period so I could see at a glance when my exams where and when I needed to revise each topic by. As Ballerina says, it ?s very rewarding to list the topics you need to cover and tick them off once you?ve revised them. The same goes for the days on your calendar! Plan something fun to look forward at the end of your exams and put this on your calendar to spur you on!

?Break the topics down into manageable chucks ? This makes them easier to remember and seem less daughting. Pick out the key points for each topic and use diagrams or pictures to help you remember them. You could also try writing the main points on cards and getting people to test you.

?Use past exam papers - Try to get hold of past exam papers to practice from. Your teacher should be able to provide these. This will help you get used to the format of the exams. Practice answering the questions in the same time limit that you?ll have in the real exam.

?Revise by doing rather than just reading- It?s far more effective to learn actively rather than passively.Instead of just reading the information you need to learn, write your own notes, cover them up and test yourself, and revise with a friend if you can so you can talk about the topic together.

?Give yourself proper breaks ? It is better to revise regularly for shorter periods of time than trying to cover everything in one marathon session! Have regular breaks, get out of the house, do some exercise and get some fresh air. Try to eat healthily during your exam period and get plenty of sleep ? this will help you concentrate better and make you feel less stressed.

If you?re feeling very stressed, take some deep breaths, have a break and get some fresh air. It?s also good to talk to someone you?re close to about how you?re feeling. There?s lots more help and advice on preparing for your exams and coping with stress in our work and study section of the site:

I hope this is helpful and best of luck with your exams! :thumb:
  • Options
    If the questions are totally different to what you expect then you should definately be looking at past papers!

By looking at them you should be able to see clearly the type of things they're going to ask. You should know from the questions, essays and practice papers you should be doing in class too?

Go to your teachers and ask for help too, they'll be able to answer your questions more specifically than us. Revise with others in your classes, ask what they;ve been doing.

Good luck, hope it goes well. :)
  • Options
    im 15 in the middle of my GCSE's , so far i've done 2 GCSE exams and they have both been quite hard and when i revise the questions are totally different from what i expect. im doing realli rubbish in mainly all subjects and i want to get better, because i dont want to be a failure in life but at the moment it seems to me i will be. i got the lowest out of my whole class in french listening - i got a E and everyone else got A's. i revise for the tests but i still get rubbish marks !!!
    how can i get much better grades ?
    how can i stop stressing ?
    how can i stop being a failure ?
    1 second ago - 3 days left to answer.

Find ways to work smarter not harder

I was always bad at learning French at School but I remember for one test I bought a book which taught the link word system of learning and ended up getting 100% in that particular test

A bit of info is on this link

http://www.200words-a-day.com/learn-french.html