Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TV Licence - Is This True?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to my Grandma, we can get a half price TV licence, because someone (me) in our family is visually impaired.

According to the TV Licence site, the only people that can get them half price arblind people and according to moneysavingexpert.com, visually impaired (blind, partially sighted and anything that can't be corrected with glasses) can get it half price.

I know about blind people getting them half price, but dos anyone know if this is true for other visually impaired people?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you are registered blind with the local authority, transfer the license to your name and get it half price. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Everydaylifeandaccess/LeisureAtHome/DG_4019003
    Melian wrote: »
    ..anything that can't be corrected with glasses..

Where on MSE does it say that? The only bit I can find is a copy of the bit off the TV Licensing website about the 50% discount and needing to provide TV Licensing with a certificate from your opthalmologist confirming you are blind or visually impaired.

The TV Licensing website always refers to "blind or severely sight impaired". If you are considered severely sight impaired you need to phone them and get the current license transferred to your name (presumably it's currently in your parents' names) then you can apply for a discount. Might be an idea to phone them with the name of your condition and ask if they consider that severe.
    If you or someone you live with is blind, you'll get 50% off the cost so your licence will cost £67.75 for a colour TV or £22.75 for a black and white one. You'll need to provide TV Licensing with a certificate from your opthalmologist confirming you are blind or visually impaired.

from - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence#discount
    Yes, that's the one I looked at too - I just didn't see the mention of anything that can't be sorted by glasses.

Do you already have such a certificate from your opthalmologist? If not, they should be your first port of call.
    There's nothing on MSE that says about glasses, but that is (according to a form I had to fill out for NHS) the definition of it.

I already have a certificate from my opthalmologist.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/blind.jsp#link3

If you look further down the page it also says you can get a refund on the part of this year that you've already paid for in full...
    I've seen that link, but it is confusing. (being told two differen things by two different websites) Oh well, looks like I'll phone up tomorrow and ask.
    I'd trust the official one. They probably know the rules better than anyone else.
    I used to work for TV Licensing.

To get a half price TV license you have to be registered blind. The best way to do it is to ring TV Licensing to inform them that someone in the family is registered blind.

The license will need to be in their name, and a copy of the blind certificate will need to be sent to their Bristol office. Remember that the license will be registered at the blind persons address, so if they aren't living with you, you still need your own license.

Once the blind certificiate has been checked the blind person will be given a reduced license.
    blind OR severely sight impared as explained on the tv licensing website.
    im thinking that if you can use a computer, you might not be blind enough - unless your computer monitor is in braille?
    I dunno, we had a kid on our course who was classified as blind or severely sight impared and he could use the puters, he had a massive monitor and made everything big, sat right up to it and also used a reader thing to read the words/clickable links I think. Never actually saw him but noted the monitor with jealousy and then noticed having to make everything small again after he'd been on it.
    Lots of blind people can use a computer :yes:
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Lots of blind people can use a computer :yes:

Exactly. I was talking to a lecturer at a uni open day and he told me that the (now ex) head of department was blind, and that was for Couter Science.