Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Surely this seems desperate...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
joining a dating website...

the only thing stopping me was that you have to be 21!

but I am fed up of being the gooseberry, and there seem to be very few men in my life that like me/are available/live within the london area

so....

is it really desperate? Should i just get my booty out a bit more, and get enough confidence back to be the flirtatacious bodacious babe (not my words) i used to be?

danke mucho

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its not desperate.
    Why dont you use both options,then you`ll have twice the chances?:thumb:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't see why it's deperate...
    It's a way of meeting people like any other as far as I am concerned.
    I don't think it's desperate but it's not something I'd do personally.

Imagine telling your grandchildren how you met your partner.

"I was Londonhotbabe18 and he was Hunkyarms23, it was love at first type".
    Yerascrote wrote: »

:D awwh

It isn't sad at all. Go for it if it's what you want.
    The reason its seen as "desperate" is because you're clearly going there looking for a relationship/whatever - whereas if you go to a nightclub for example you don't need to give off the vibe that you're only there looking for action and can make it look as if you're just there for a laugh with your friends.

Many people I've spoken to say they'd never resort to a dating website because its viewed as an "admission of defeat", ie would make them feel they can't get a relationship "the proper way" (ie face to face, whether that be an introduction through friend or hookup at a club).

The internet's exciting to get laid quickly with someone looking for what you're after, but similarly I'd never want to use it for an r'ship, its still an embarrassing taboo for a couple to meet on the internet and I wouldn't want to hide a secret for so long.

That said, using the internet to your advantage is a great idea, eg having an awesome Facebook profile which makes you come across really desirable to potential hotties of the opposite sex.
    I dont think it's desperate either, but i wouldn't concentrate on that rather than trying to meet people in person and get your 'booty' out there alot more at the same time :p
    I have known many a relationship off the internet work, and work well! I can think of at least 5 examples from thesite.org
    Perhaps it does look desperate. But frankly, who cares if it does? If you join up a dating site, you're not doing any harm to anyone. It could be the start of something very special, you never know. Nothing wrong with using the Internet to meet people.
    its not the internet i have a problem with, christ, i've had a 2 and 1/2 year relationship with someone from here, its just the dateing website thing seems a little..."i'm here because i'm socialy disfunctional, can't flirt, and have no friends"

and plus i don't want to pay to join one!
    its just the dateing website thing seems a little..."i'm here because i'm socialy disfunctional, can't flirt, and have no friends"

You can't think that is what people are like on there really, or else you wouldn't be wanting to join one - unless that's the type of person you're after. So maybe it's something else bothering you; like you feel that you should be able to meet someone not online, if that is how you've met people in the past... or something?
    I don't view dating-websites as desperate no, I can too think of some people that met their people through a dating-website. One of the good things about dating websites is that you "market" yourself towards people who are also single, within the right age and other preferences you might have, and one doesn't have this options when flirting at nightclubs and so on. Hell, you don't even know if people are single or not..
    Yerascrote wrote: »

:lol:

Seriously, does it really matter what other people think? I personally won't do it, but if it's what you want/makes you happy, then go for it.
    Melian wrote: »
    :lol:

Seriously, does it really matter what other people think? I personally won't do it, but if it's what you want/makes you happy, then go for it.
    This.

I do feel a bit weird sometimes telling people me and Rich met on the internet, and I always feel the need to say "but we were friends for ages first", because I know what they will think (one of the boys at work has taken to calling him "Cyberman" :yeees: ), but then I think that I know that I am happy and he is happy, and the people that matter to me don't care how I met him, just that he makes me feel good.
    my mate has been on loads of dates via people from facebook

she is definately not desperate and she is a stunner

sites like facebook and dating sites just allow you to meet the people who you wouldnt normally meet in the places you go of a weekend