Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Summer transfers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
That's right, the most fun part of the football season is back: the bit with no football in it, but hopes, dreams, aspirations, and none of that pesky reality to prove that your team is shit.

So what positions does your team need strengthening in and who would you like to see come in? Who have you been linked with so far and what do you think of them?

Man City:
We need a right winger, a striker (yes we have 12, but hopefully most of those are fucking off soon), a hard man in the middle, a left back, and a bit of cover at the back and in goal.

We've been linked with:
Jo (£20m) - brazilian striker playing in Russia and scoring a lot. Big, strong, quick, 21 years old. A lot to pay for an unproven striker, but he's scored in the Champions League too. Probably would've signed him by now, but he's owned by a third party like Tevez, so it'll probably go on forever.

Ronaldinho (£20m) - don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this guy playing for Man City. And don't believe all that crap about him being out of form, because he was injured for a lot of last year and still managed one goal in two for someone who's not a main striker. But £200k a week? Are they having a laugh? It's entirely the business side that I don't like about it, because let's face it, even if he wasn't at his absolute best, he'd still be class. And he still only 28. Don't reckon he'll come though.

Andrei Arshavin - would love to see this guy at Man City. One of the stars of the season for me, and he's still doing it in the Euros. He'd be expensive, and he's 27, but I reckon he's close to the best player we could get for the right hand side at any price.

David Bentley - well this one was obvious. A good player, but probably even more expensive than Arshavin, and not as good. I reckon he'll want CL football anyway.

Roque Santa Cruz (£15m) - obviously good, but I reckon our current strikers could do as well under the attacking football of Hughes tbh. Sven was really defensive, which is why our strikers didn't score.

Christopher Samba - we've been linked with most of Blackburn's squad tbh. Decent defender, but no better than what we already have. I'd have him as cover, but I doubt he'd want to sit on the bench.

Lorik Cana - Now we're talking. Has anyone seen the Youtube video of this guy? He'd literally play half the games because he'd be suspended the rest of the time. Exactly what we need. Rock solid midfielder in the Makelele mould, with good technical ability too.

Lukas Podolski - I'd love this guy at our club. Nothing more to say really. I think he's class.

Obviously there've been loads more, but these were the names that keep coming up.

Just need to get rid of Dickov, Corradi, Bianchi, Samaras, Mpenza, Vassell, Sun, Isaksson, and Mills first. Vassell will be missed.

So who's your club been linked with?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We've been linked with Darren Moore and Luke Beckett so far this summer. If we get both of those players through the door I reckon we're in with a good shot of promotion. The league will be a lot closer this time with moneybags Peterborough and Milton Keynes out of the way.

Looks like we've got close to the 9000 serason ticket sales that triggers a buy one get one free offer. I hope we have. I can't justify buying a season ticket for the tiny number of games I'd get to see (and I'll be buggered if I'll pay £20 for league two football) but with a free one I'd more than make up for it in the club shop.
    Barnet have accepted for Jason Puncheon. (plymouth want him)

Paul Wotton has gone to Southampton. Hull want Halmosi.
    looks like Kyle "whinging" Lafferty is on his way to Rangers for £3m plus Alan Gow, not a bad deal for a unproven striker.

coming in looks like:

Derek Riordan
    Diego Penny
    Alan Gow
    Andrew Driver
    Martin Paterson

and we've shown interest in Anthony Stokes, but doubt we'll afford him.

some good signings there if any of them come off, we're turning into a team full of jocks.
    Ok we're getting a few defenders now which is not our biggest weakness.

We need another good striker to partner Torres and a wigner, signing Villa and Quaresma would be magnificant imo!
    looks like Kyle "whinging" Lafferty is on his way to Rangers for £3m plus Alan Gow, not a bad deal for a unproven striker.

coming in looks like:

Derek Riordan
    Diego Penny
    Alan Gow
    Andrew Driver
    Martin Paterson

and we've shown interest in Anthony Stokes, but doubt we'll afford him.

some good signings there if any of them come off, we're turning into a team full of jocks.

i think gow will be good for burnley im sad to see him go was never given a chance especially when we were crying out for a skilled midfielder who can make passes and create space in the midle of the park

lafferty im not too sure about tbh 3 odd million for a striker thats scored what under 20 goals in the last three seasons?

wee need a right and left winger and a good centre back and a natuaral right back, selling hutton was stupid :crying:
    Erm we signed Gary McDonald from Oldham (the boy that scored the 30 yarder at Everton last season) and some French goalie Bossu who wasn't good enough for Wallsall :rolleyes:

Been linked with Alan Gow, Derek Riordan, Paul Dixon, Robbie Fowler (:nervous:) and all the rest but we've mucked about too much and they're all gonna go elsewhere. Need a good 7 first team players to replace the ones leaving.
    Leeds need some wingers left and right after playing 4 centre midfielders across midfield for the majority of the season. We also need a striker and maybe a bit of cover at the back.

We have already signed Swanseas player of the year Robinson who is an excellent left sided player for this level.

For the striker search we've being linked with Derek Riordan, Andy Cole, Kevin Phillips and last season loan man Dougie Freedman.

For me the pick of that list is Derek Riordan as he is the only young one there and would have the potential to do well at Leeds this season and hopefully in the Championship before long!
    Freedman did an excellent job at the end of last season but doubt he would move up north permanently and also he's knocking on a bit but Macca has said he would like an experienced head up there with Beckford.
    Kevin Phillips I would like but reckon he is going to get a new contract at WBA who are in the premiership so thats a no-brainer.
    Andy Cole - Please no, end of his career and although I think he could still offer something at this level I'd like Macca to be thinking more about the future!
    Arsenal

Who we need to bring in depends on who's leaving, with Hleb, Adebayor and now Clichy linked with moves away on top of Flamini and Lehmann who've already left.

IMO we need a central defender as an eventual replacement for either Gallas or Senderos, a left-winger and possibly a holding midfielder to replace Flamini. A bonus would be a new goalkeeper but I don't think that's absolutely essential at the moment.

As a Welshman I'm glad we've brought in Aaron Ramsey, but as an Arsenal fan I'm not sure if he's what we require yet. Would've prefered if we loaned him back to Cardiff but obviously Wenger has immediate plans for him.

Who we've been linked with:

I'd be here all afternoon listing names so I'll just stick to the more prominent ones mentioned.

Samir Nasri - I don't think he made the impact he was expecting at the Euro's. He's a player with excellent potential and I'm sure he would fit straight into the Arsenal team as a probable replacement for Alex Hleb. His signing is imminent supposedly. I would prefer someone with a bit more experience tbh.

Vincent Kompany - Wenger said he doesn't "need" to make a defensive signing which is silly as Arsenal's defence, more than anything, needs tightening up. He's tall, young, has Champions League experience. Would make an excellent signing.

Obafemi Martins - Been linked with Arsenal for a long time. Has a powerful shot which Arsenal miss somewhat. Not as injury prone as Van Persie, would be a useful addition to the squad but only if one of the current strikers leave otherwise he would be just a luxury player.

Alisher Arshavin - Lazy journalism prompted this particular link methinks, but I wouldn't mind him at Arsenal.

Yaya Toure - More lazy journalism. Good player but can't see it happening really.

Aside from Nasri I don't expect us to make any of the above signings. Arsenal will probably plunder Cote d'Ivoire again.
    At Man United everything depends on whether Ronaldo is sold or not. It looks like he wants to leave, but whether United will sell is another matter.

Regardless of Ronaldo's situation the team is crying out for another striker to share the load with Tevez and Rooney. Right-back is also a possibility, but not a pressing concern, given the form of Brown.

Linked with:

Berbatov (£25m) - Probably the most realistic of the striker targets. Premiership proven and would free up Rooney to play his best position in the hole. His one touch link up play would be an asset to the team.

Santa Cruz (£15m) - Premiership proven, but already failed at a big club and not sure if he would fit the system. Could be a cheaper option if no other targets available.

Benzema (£30m+) - Unrealistic target. Would be a perfect signing, but doesn't want to leave Lyon yet, and seems to prefer Spain.

Huntelaar (£20m) - Fine marksman, but like Santa Cruz, don't know if he'd fit the system. Bit of a gamble, and seems to prefer Real.

Eto'o (£20m) - Could be part of a Barcelona clear out. If he could stay fit and regain his form from 2 years ago, he'd be the best striker in the world. Questionable attitude.

Podolski - Lazy press link because of his form at the Euros. Isn't good enough to start at Bayern and I've only seen him perform well at international tournaments. I doubt he's on United's radar.

If Ronaldo leaves for Real, also been linked with taking some of their players as part of the deal:

Sergio Ramos - Fine right back and centre half. Could be hard to tempt him away from Real, but I'd take him over the other right backs we've been linked to.

Robinho - No-brainer really. Replace like for like, albeit with a less talented player. Questionable attitude but there's talent there that could be nurtured.

Sneijder - Would be fantastic but not going to happen.

Robben - I doubt he'd go back to the Premiership. Obviously talented but too injury prone and a bit of a fairy.

Selected others:

Van der Vaart (£25m) - Very talented and seems a likely target if Ronaldo leaves. Wouldn't like a bidding war with Chelsea, who he's also been heavily linked with.

Richards (£25m) - Not gonna happen. If he leaves City, he'll probably go to London so he can live his bling lifestyle.
    Addict wrote: »
    Eto'o (£20m) - Could be part of a Barcelona clear out. If he could stay fit and regain his form from 2 years ago, he'd be the best striker in the world. Questionable attitude.
    18 in 22 last season. Not too shabby. Another one of the Barcelona "out of form" players who's stats suggest that he was injured rather than out of form.
    Richards (£25m) - Not gonna happen. If he leaves City, he'll probably go to London so he can live his bling lifestyle.
    You're damn right it's not gonna happen. :p Not for £25m at any rate. If Ferdinand was worth £30m years ago, then Richards is worth even more.
    18 in 22 last season. Not too shabby. Another one of the Barcelona "out of form" players who's stats suggest that he was injured rather than out of form.

Perhaps you're right, but I watched quite a few Barcelona games and I don't remember too many breathtaking performances from him, like he produced week in week out in 2006. He also played a full 180 minutes against United in the Champions League and did absolutely nothing. Maybe it's time for a new challenge for him.
    You're damn right it's not gonna happen. :p Not for £25m at any rate. If Ferdinand was worth £30m years ago, then Richards is worth even more.

I think the markets were actually more inflated in 2001 though. Richards doesn't show the positional sense, game reading ability or ball technique of Ferdinand. His impressive pace and physical presence help to make for it but £25m is a fair price. I see him as a greatly upgraded version of Wes Brown, rather than Ferdinand-type. Never going to go to United though. I heard he's an Arsenal fan. If they keep hemorrhaging players at the rate they are, maybe Wenger will pull his finger out.
    I think the markets were actually more inflated in 2001 though. Richards doesn't show the positional sense, game reading ability or ball technique of Ferdinand. His impressive pace and physical presence help to make for it but £25m is a fair price. I see him as a greatly upgraded version of Wes Brown, rather than Ferdinand-type. Never going to go to United though. I heard he's an Arsenal fan. If they keep hemorrhaging players at the rate they are, maybe Wenger will pull his finger out.

I think he's an Arsenal fan, yeah. But we'll be taking their place in the Champions League soon, so it won't be an issue. :p

On comparisons with Ferdinand, well we're richer than Leeds were, he's just signed a new contract, so it would take a massive (probably record) bid to get him this summer tbh. I would argue that he's better than Ferdinand was at the same age. Youngest ever England defender, and almost certainly the youngest ever England defender to establish himself in the starting eleven, and he's still not even 20 yet (obviously Neville's injury played a part, but you've got twice as many opportunities at centre half than fullback). Rio Ferdinand isn't exactly immune to the odd lapse in concentration or poor positioning, but positioning is something you learn. As for reading the game, Richards is amongst the best I've seen tbh. There's obviously the argument nowadays as to whether any defender is worth £30m, and I would argue no. But if any defender in the world would break that record, it would be Richards, purely because he's good and English. Hopefully the big clubs will go for foreigners instead, and leave us with him.

Watching the game tonight, I was so pleased that our other right back seems to be maturing into one of the best in Europe. Actually, Bilic described him as the best in Europe, but then managers always say that. Richards and Corluka will hopefully be here for a long time to come, and they are both certainly future world-class players imo. Just hope we can get the rest of the team sorted so they don't get tempted away.