Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Infections.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I have had a total of 7 chest/throat infections since July last year and have been off work for 7 weeks. Another one came today and I've been seen by hospital and waiting to hear from ear nose and throat.
The dr I saw this morning wouldn't stop going on about having a smear test which I know I need to do and will do it after next week cos its my period next week, I'm kinda scared though and also how would a smear test affect a chest/throat infection?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    How old are you? Have you not had a smear test before? And was the doctor definitely telling you to have one because of these infections - or could it just have been general advice?
    If you've not had one before and are scared about it, that's natural - just try to relax. It's not the most enjoyable thing in the world but it's over in seconds and really isn't as bad as you expect it to be. You'll be fine :)
  • Options
    I'm 26 just never got round to going for a smear I know I'm bad so please don't go on at me, she didn't say they could be linked she asked me if I smoked then said oh have you had a smear bit strange like!
    I just really don't want one, I'm a private person! and not confident at all and hate my body think thats why I've not been to be honest. I need to book one though
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote: »
    I'm 26 just never got round to going for a smear I know I'm bad so please don't go on at me, she didn't say they could be linked she asked me if I smoked then said oh have you had a smear bit strange like!
    I just really don't want one, I'm a private person! and not confident at all and hate my body think thats why I've not been to be honest. I need to book one though

She could have been just looking through your records while she asked if you smoked, cause on my doc's system, the 'last date of smear test' box is right next to the bit where they fill in how much you drink or smoke.

Anyhoo, please don't worry about having one, cause I promise you they're not that bad. The nurses go out of their way to make you feel comfy - they're totally unfazed by it all, and keep you as covered as poss. And bottom line - it could save your life :)
  • Options
    Yeh I think it was maybe just a general question!
    I know all the nurses at drs so its not that I'm scared of them just sick of being at the drs just now cos on my 7th infection in 10months!
    Yeh I really need to, due on next week so will try and book after cos dont think I'd get it done before.
    I typed this post when I got back from the drs and I came in pretty upset cos I had another infection cos I was getting sooo much better and just seem to go back 5 steps :( so really feeling down and rubbish just now