Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scans see 'gay brain differences'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't like to harp on about gay sexuality but this was interesting reading today :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7456588.stm

"As far as I'm concerned there is no argument any more - if you are gay, you are born gay

Dr Qazi Rahman
Queen Mary, University of London"

For those who think that we CHOOSE to be gay, and therefore have no rights to be 'married' or have equal rights to heterosexuals in the law, please think again.

Having said that, most people on this board are cool about it and I thank you for your acceptance. :)

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What about bi people?

Are their brains different too?
  • Options
    The article doesn't state this but I would presume that they may lie in between the two.
  • Options
    I've read similar research before, there's loads of evidence documenting brain differences
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I don't like to harp on about gay sexuality but this was interesting reading today :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7456588.stm

"As far as I'm concerned there is no argument any more - if you are gay, you are born gay

Dr Qazi Rahman
    Queen Mary, University of London"

For those who think that we CHOOSE to be gay, and therefore have no rights to be 'married' or have equal rights to heterosexuals in the law, please think again.

Having said that, most people on this board are cool about it and I thank you for your acceptance. :)

I've never really seen the issue. I don't see how the position that homosexual people shouldn't have equal rights has ever been defensible. If the lynch-pin of a person's argument against homosexuality is that they believe it to be a choice, then it's hardly a sound argument against equal rights.
  • Options
    This had been known for ages. The only question still to be answered is the cause. Either genetic, something to do with the womb, or a combination of both.
  • Options
    I've never really seen the issue. I don't see how the position that homosexual people shouldn't have equal rights has ever been defensible. If the lynch-pin of a person's argument against homosexuality is that they believe it to be a choice, then it's hardly a sound argument against equal rights.

It's the whole racism vs religionism argument in a sense. You can't criticise someone's race because it's not a choice, but you can criticise someone's religion because it is a choice...

So depending on whether homosexuality is a choice or not implies whether it's ok to criticise it or not. Personally though, I don't criticise people based on their race OR religion, except the people who use religion as a mask for something else (but I'm lucky to see the difference, a lot of people can't and see religion as 'hate').

Anyway, bit of an aside there, but yea. I'm sure ages ago I said something like it was pre-determined because of some random abnormality and people thought I was saying homosexual people were retarded or something :yeees:.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's the whole racism vs religionism argument in a sense. You can't criticise someone's race because it's not a choice, but you can criticise someone's religion because it is a choice...

So depending on whether homosexuality is a choice or not implies whether it's ok to criticise it or not. Personally though, I don't criticise people based on their race OR religion, except the people who use religion as a mask for something else (but I'm lucky to see the difference, a lot of people can't and see religion as 'hate').

Anyway, bit of an aside there, but yea. I'm sure ages ago I said something like it was pre-determined because of some random abnormality and people thought I was saying homosexual people were retarded or something :yeees:.

I agree with you, however, my point was that even if every gay person had made the choice to be gay I don't see how that opens up them up to unequal rights. To be honest I've never really understood the "It's a Choice" argument. What does it even mean? That a gay male does actually find women sexually attractive, but in an act of defiant heresy has decided he's only going to sleep with dudes?
  • Options
    I agree with you, however, my point was that even if every gay person had made the choice to be gay I don't see how that opens up them up to unequal rights. To be honest I've never really understood the "It's a Choice" argument. What does it even mean? That a gay male does actually find women sexually attractive, but in an act of defiant heresy has decided he's only going to sleep with dudes?

Yea I agree it's ridiculous but I think the argument is (playing devil's advocate here) that if it's a choice, you can criticise that choice (and all the things that go with it) because they have the freedom to make other choices. But if it's nature, they don't have any freedom and so it's not fair to criticise them for it (or discriminate).

Another example could be people who choose to commit crime can be criticised and discriminated against when trying to get jobs. For many it has been the case that someone who 'chooses' to be gay is just as guilty as someone who 'chooses' to break the law. I agree that it's not in the same ballpark but that's prejudice for you.
  • Options
    The whole ''homosexuality is a lifestyle choice'' argument has been peddled by the fundies constantly to support their efforts to continue discrimination and persecution of homosexuals.

I wonder what will they do now. I guess they'll just ignore the evidence and pretend it does not exist, just as they do with all other evidence that expose their views and beliefs as rubbish.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea I agree it's ridiculous but I think the argument is (playing devil's advocate here) that if it's a choice, you can criticise that choice (and all the things that go with it) because they have the freedom to make other choices. But if it's nature, they don't have any freedom and so it's not fair to criticise them for it (or discriminate).

I understand the principle of something being a choice and hence subsequently open to criticism; what i want to address is even if we presume homosexuality to be a choice - and we'd have to hammer out exactly what that choice specifically was - what sound argument could be put forward to argue that choice opens homosexuals up to valid inequality?
  • Options
    I understand the principle of something being a choice and hence subsequently open to criticism; what i want to address is even if we presume homosexuality to be a choice - and we'd have to hammer out exactly what that choice specifically was - what sound argument could be put forward to argue that choice opens homosexuals up to valid inequality?

just a random point: they haven't said it's a causal link, that's their next project, to do scans of babies etc and then see the statistical liklihood of these things

interesting nonetheless though
  • Options

I don't think there is a justification, except the usual 'its immoral', 'its weird' etc.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The whole ''homosexuality is a lifestyle choice'' argument has been peddled by the fundies constantly to support their efforts to continue discrimination and persecution of homosexuals.

I wonder what will they do now. I guess they'll just ignore the evidence and pretend it does not exist, just as they do with all other evidence that expose their views and beliefs as rubbish.

Yeah, you think any evidence ever affects people like that?

You can't prove them wrong, because they will just say the evidence is an evil liberal lie.
  • Options

Fundie Christians or fundie atheists ;)

tongue...cheek...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

I'm afraid that to them it will be proof that homosexuals are children of Satan.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Yeah, you think any evidence ever affects people like that?

You can't prove them wrong, because they will just say the evidence is an evil liberal lie.

The great irony of course is that these people would probably be the first to complain about discrimination about something which blatantly is a choice: their religion. Not that I think that is acceptable either, except in an area where it might be relevant (like leading the country, for example ;)).
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    That must mean our brains are responsible for everything we do. No?
    As opposed to what?

Well actually, if you tap your knee joint with a hammer, you will kick out in a reflex action which isn't controlled by the brain. But other than that....
  • Options
    As opposed to what?

Well actually, if you tap your knee joint with a hammer, you will kick out in a reflex action which isn't controlled by the brain. But other than that....

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm going on what I learned at Biology A-level years ago, but hormones could be said to significantly alter human behaviour, and probably quite strongly for sexual behaviour. Whilst hormone levels/production is supposed to be regulated by the hypothalamus (i.e. a region of the brain) I'd have thought there would be a number of disorders/malfunctions in the glands/organs that release hormones (thyroid, testes, pancreas, etc) would be out of "the brain's" control (e.g. pancreas/insulin/diabetes).
  • Options
    And that's simply the brains reaction to what the nerve endings are feeling. Maybe then the nerve endings in our eyes cause certain reactions to happen too?
    Well in a very complex way, that's always true. But because the human brain is so much more complex than say an ant's brain, it has the benefit of foresight, complex decision making, predictions, rational thought, and a whole manner of other things. You will notice however that such abilities are still most frequently used to allow us to perform what is instinctual to us (i.e. successfully raising a family, raising our social status, surviving, eating, avoiding conflict or if it comes to it, destroying our enemies), or to satisfy our instinctual pleasures in a way with few negative consequences that might normally occur (contraception, sport, drugs, religion, art, etc). But I won't pretend to know much about how the brain works.
    I always think about this when wondering about love at first sght:

I have a way to explain how maybe it isn't our physiological brains but our spiritual "electrical" ethereal minds in control through the process of love at first sight:

1)We see someone beautiful

2)The signal passes into our brain

3)We "think" we love them

4)Chemicals are released in our body CONTROLLED by our brain.

5)These chemicals are measured by scientists and they wrongly assume love is only a chemical reaction.

However, I like to think that from light/sight to mind to the chemical feeling of love, something higher is in operation, possibly our soul which isn't easy to define scientificaly because it probably shouldn't be (These things are probably in high demand by Satan and I'm sure he'd love to take over control of our soul and therefore our very lives) Maybe that's what's happening, people are trying to take us over by making us accept and reprogram this complete and utter bullshit into our very private souls?
    Sheer conjecture on your part. A concept such as love is merely a product of the physical brain, as is language, art, spirituality, and a whole host of other things (incidentally, romantic love as we know it was literally invented in France in the middle ages). Love is a product of our consciousness. Consciousness is a product of our physical brain. Our physcial brain is the product of the cells that make it up. The cells that make it up are a product of our genes. And everything from the genes upwards has evolved to assist in the single task of allowing those genes to replicate themselves. Everything we think, everything we feel, everything we believe exists is purely a result of that being the most effective way that those genes have evolved to reproduce. We don't see the world as it actually is. Everything we see is made up as mostly space, because the space between two atoms even in something as dense as a diamond is huge, but we don't see it that way, because it's not beneficial for our survival to see it that way. Because those atoms are bonded together by physical laws, they essentially become one, and so we see them as a single physical object as a result. But they are mostly made up of space.
    Ok, what i'm saying probably isn't making much sense, but just think about that love at first sight idea and ask how it is our physical brains in control? If you disprove free will then basicaly every single action we take is pre destined to happen and as such, being beyond our control, means we shouldn't be punished, unless of course you take into consideration that everyone is experiencing the same thing including the people who uphold "The Law"
    I don't see how that follows. Consciousness is a product of the chemicals in the brain. That doesn't mean that it's controlled by them. The genes have evolved the ability to use free will because it is the best survival mechanism. Just because the genes create you doesn't mean they control your every move. Surely any concept of an omniscient higher power intrudes on the idea of free will more?
    I find it good to look to the scriptures for moral grounding before starting a revolution from your bed/head.
    If you're going to look for ancient wisdom, you'd do far better looking into Chinese philosophy and traditions in my opinion. I think it's far more along your line of thinking, based on what you post on here.
    Too many gays and we will cease to exist. no more children = loose.
    Far too many assumptions in that statement. What makes you think we would ever get to the stage of "too many gays?"

Sorry if none of this is particularly well explained.
  • Options
    That must mean our brains are responsible for everything we do. No?

I'd be interested to see if there's a difference in murderers brain that inclines him/her to commit such an act...

Even if the scan doesn't see it, I'd bet it's still there.
    As opposed to free will.... Ie our brains are wired in such a way that our thoughts are somehow seperate from the physical makeup of our brains.
    If the physiology of the brain makes people gay then it must make people murderers. If this is true I am quite within my rights to sue the government for putting me in prison because "It wasn't me, it was my brain your worship"

Are you implying that being gay is 'free will' then?
  • Options
    So how can it make people gay? Excuse the pun, but its a grey area isn't it.

Like I said previously, current research is centering around either conditions in the womb or genetic causes making someone gay. But being gay would be an instinctual desire, not a product of conciousness in that case, just like sexual desire in general (which is different to love).
  • Options
    What a fucked up instict, that's all I can say. It's suicidal. End of genes. It makes no sense. Mind you, what does these days.

Not necessarily. Just because you can't see the evolutionary benefit of something, doesn't mean it isn't there. Studies in gay men, for example, have shown that the later the child comes in the line of siblings, the more likely they are to be gay, leading to hypotheses that they actually act as a sort of population control and creating a greater likelihood of the children of the older siblings surviving as part of the extended family group, and the genes carrying on (after all, humans are animals that have evolved to have few children and invest a lot of effort into ensuring they survive, compared to other animals who have lots of children in the hope that one or two survive). Another possibility is that homosexuality is a bi-product of a genetic trait that is beneficial to survival. And finally it's worth pointing out that not everything evolves to be perfect. It's not a particularly great idea for us to have an appendix that is prone to bursting. It's not a great idea for us to breath and eat through the same part of the body, leading to choking. But we haven't evolved into perfect beings, and I guess it's important to remember that. The very nature of evolution is that a lot of beings don't live to pass on their genes.
  • Options
    Once again the spiritual mind has been left out of the equation...

I much prefer to drift through the upper atmosphere.

Your perogative mate.

But you're not engaging with the scientific side, which this thread is about; and which is the ultimate argument against the bigots. :banghead:
  • Options
    Maybe they need to meet in the middle? Sounds like a whisper I once heard...
    There is no middle ground when it comes to this things. There is either facts and tolerance, or bigotry and intolerance.
  • Options
    Well either it is or it isn't. If it isn't then we have to ask if anything is surely?

That's just silly. It's not necessarily cut and dry like that.

Some people are born murderous - like psychopaths. Some people choose to murder, but aren't psychopaths.

Some people who steal are kleptomaniacs. It doesn't mean that all people who steal are kleptomaniacs.

Some people who have psychiatric problems are schizophrenic. But not all psychiatric problems are schizophrenic.

Some people are gay. Some people choose to dabble for whatever reason - but it doesn't necessarily make them gay.
  • Options
    Speaking as a philosophy student, I wouldn't invoke "free will" as a concept on either side of the debate... belief in free will as I assume most people would take it - ie a genuine choice, the ability to have chosen otherwise - involves denying causation, which is a bullet most people won't want to bite.

It seems bloody patently obvious that being gay isn't a choice, and I think the point about the type of choice it's supposed to be being completely unclear is also a really good one. I mean, how does one "choose" to love or desire someone, male or female? That's surely not what love or lust is.

Sadly I also agree that evidence like this allows decent liberal people to support their views with yet more facts that bigots can write off without ever bothering to consider them.