Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Laughing At Really Inappropriate Times

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I stop doing this please?

I was talking to a friend of mine about something. (for various reasons, it wasn't funny at all) He then said something, which made me laugh and I got told off for it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's an inadvertent nervous reaction. I'm not sure there's much you can do about it - if it happens, just explain that it was a nervous reaction and apologise for coming across as insensitive.
    O, I think its nerves. I laugh when I am nervous at extremely inappropriate times. Trying to be more relaxed might help.
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    It's an inadvertent nervous reaction.

:yes:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Originally Posted by StupidGirl
    It's an inadvertent nervous reaction.
    Teagan wrote: »
    :yes:

:yes: I do it all the time and it's embarassing. But, I find the easiest way to to cope with it is to just be honest about it and then as soon as I start talking about the disposition, I find it easier to stop. So I say something like - "This really isn't funny, but I have terrible nervous laughter, so please don't think I'm being insensitive if I start giggling..." and then continue with the story. People usually understand, or the fact that I've mentioned it will mean I've been able to compose myself before I actually start smiling or laughing.

Another way to cope with it, is to really focus on what I'm saying and force myself to really connect with it - I think laughter for me will often come out as a reaction to utter disbelief. If I force myself to admit the reality of a situation in my head, then often I'll feel naturally more upset about it and the laughter won't come so readily.
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    if it happens, just explain that it was a nervous reaction and apologise for coming across as insensitive.

I've just done this. I really have no idea why this happened - I never do anything like this.

Thanks everyone.
    Was it Desmond Morris, the Naked Ape guy, who said that the showing of teeth in the primate world is a sign of fear. More often than not we laugh at horrible situations because we're scared of them and glad it's not us.

I'm an inappropriate laugher myself and my friends know not to take it to heart.
    I've done it before. I was in some guy's house with a friend and saw a framed photo of a cat on the wall so I said 'awh the cat is sweet' and he said 'He's dead. He belonged to my dead grandfather'. Oh gawd!! I was leaning on my friend's shoulder in tears snorting with laughter. My friend found it funny but he wasn't impressed.
    I used to laugh when I was getting told off at school :( never helped the situation...
    katralla wrote: »
    I used to laugh when I was getting told off at school :( never helped the situation...

I'm sure most people have done that at some point.
    Someone at work got fired yesterday, and I openly grinned in front of some of her closest workmates, shameful.
    nahnah wrote: »
    Someone at work got fired yesterday, and I openly grinned in front of some of her closest workmates, shameful.
    Don't worry, I would grin if some of the people I work with got fired. Shame they never will be though :grump:.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sometimes, when I have to tell somebody something they'll not easily believe (but is true) I think about how they're going to think I'm joking, and as a result I burst out laughing halfway through telling them. This of course makes believing me even more difficult...

Not the same, I know, but similar.
    i have done this when someone told me they fell in the bath hitting their head and cracking the side of the bath.. im giggling as i type. i know its sad but imagining it makes me think this person must be so silly..
    but when its something more serious i just turn around to a window and try to silently laugh so no one notices.. i have been told off lots by my mum for lauging at innappropriate times.
    Sometimes, when I have to tell somebody something they'll not easily believe (but is true) I think about how they're going to think I'm joking, and as a result I burst out laughing halfway through telling them. This of course makes believing me even more difficult...

Not the same, I know, but similar.

I do that all the time
    I do it all the time.