Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does anyone think this man shouldn't die in prison?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Quite frankly yes, 30 years is a long time to spend in jail (which he definitely deserves) and I think it is right for it to be reviewed. I'm not saying he should be released, I cant know whether he has changed, whether he is a threat etc. that is for the parol board to decide.

By referring to the parole board you are saying that he should be set free, though. If you didn't think that he should be let free then you wouldn't want a parole board referral.

The criminal justice system should be about punishment. Rehabilitation is important as part of the punishment to make sure that we don't have to punish the same person for the same crime again six months down the line. There should be enough support in and out of prison to make sure that people do not commit further crime.

But the punishment should fit the crime. If he'd stolen a car or beaten someone up then a shorter prison sentence, with rehabilitation to make sure that he doesn't offend again, is appropriate. But with what he did nothing but a whole life sentence is appropriate.
    I think this may well be an issue on which we fundamentally disagree, but I just dont like the talk of letting anyone rot in jail.

I don't like it either, and each case should be decided on its own merits. Bizarrely, I actually think that child and adolescent murderers should have more rehabilitation and less punishment because they are more likely to change. Jailing a 16-year-old for life, without any possibility of parole, is just needlessly cruel and sadistic. They should at least have the chance of freedom.

But some crimes, if committed by adults, are so foul that the only suitable punishment is that the perpetrator dies in prison.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    By referring to the parole board you are saying that he should be set free, though. If you didn't think that he should be let free then you wouldn't want a parole board referral.

No, you are reading too much into what I am suggesting. I just think after such a long time the case should be reviewed. I have no idea whether or not he has changed, whether he is a risk to himself or others, how frail he is...etc. That's why I specifically said the professionals should decide, and they probably would keep him in. But my empathy for prisoners makes me cringe away from this 'let them rot' talk.