Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How good would have England been in Euro 2008?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
... had they managed to qualify?

No offence, but while they might have not been amongst the worst, judging by what we've seen so far England wouldn't have had a hope in hell of winning it. It would have been unlikely they would have made it past 1/4 finals IMO.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think England would have done well to get out of the group stages, but it would depend on their group. It just goes to show what a good job Sven actually did by getting to all those QFs and SFs. England were already punching above their weight.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I think we would have been terrible!!
    Theres too many foreigners in the Euro competition. If there was a cap England would do better.
    I reckon they'd have been slaughtered. The standard of football from the winning teams in the group stages is just a class above. For example just look at how Holland are still pressing forward in the last minutes of their games. If England get a lead early on then they spend the last 30 minutes around their own goal mouth.
    minimi wrote:
    Theres too many foreigners in the Euro competition. If there was a cap England would do better.

:lol::heart:
    Addict wrote:
    It just goes to show what a good job Sven actually did by getting to all those QFs and SFs. England were already punching above their weight.

I think England fans with any intelligence knew that anyway. England were in the top eight in the world on a regular basis and that's about as good as we could expect to get. In 2002 we would have got further with a nicer draw, as is always the way in knockout tournaments; if we'd had Germany's draw we may well have won it as we'd have been playing Brazil in the cool rather than in the midday sun in 95% humidity.
    Quater finals, beat by Czech Republic 2-1. Manager blames Church of Scientology, England fans cry and say "we'll win the World Cup, just you wait and see." Repeat for another 40 years.
    Between terrible and pants...

The qualifying stages showed how deficient we are in midfield and upfront. I am so glad we do not have play Holland, i think it would be a hammering.
    Until England start producing Sneijders, Xavis, Decos and Modrics rather than Lampards and Gerrards in midfield, they're always going to be a step behind these guys.
    minimi38 wrote: »

Why aren't English players playing all over Europe as 'foreigners' in those teams? Because we don't have the grass root talent that other countries do.
    Sarcasm isn't your strong point, but saying that neither is Football!
    Though clearly better than your critical thinking and reading comprehension...
    Though clearly better than your critical thinking and reading comprehension...
    You still agree with the slaver in the link you posted?? It was talking about car manufacturers and comparing it to football when it has no relevance, lol, shows how much you really know!
    Think me and you are going to have some fun errrr discussions on here!
    Naturally we would've won it. Look, even the BBC thinks so.

To give them their dues, they didn't go far wrong on Beckham.
    All three will be at their peak, and the onlooking David Beckham, who will probably retire from football at 30 to pursue a rock career, will smile in the stands as his successors shine.
    Unfortunately, he seems to have retired from club football rather than international football.
    Naturally we would've won it. Look, even the BBC thinks so.

:lol:

Martin Taylor? The guy who broke Eduardo in two? When was he ever an up and coming defender?

3-5-2 as well. Maybe if they were playing at Euro 1984.
    He had three decent games for Blackburn and is pretty tasty on Championship Manager 99/00. Maybe that's what they mean?
    You still agree with the slaver in the link you posted?? It was talking about car manufacturers and comparing it to football when it has no relevance, lol, shows how much you really know!

I don't think someone who thinks that Kenneth Bates is as pure as the cold driven snow can comment on anyone else's intelligence, or lack of.

To say that protectionism drives down quality is accurate in any field. If you reduce competition you reduce quality. It's not a difficult thing to grasp, even for someone who thinks that the world hates Leeds United.
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't think someone who thinks that Kenneth Bates is as pure as the cold driven snow can comment on anyone else's intelligence, or lack of.

To say that protectionism drives down quality is accurate in any field. If you reduce competition you reduce quality. It's not a difficult thing to grasp, even for someone who thinks that the world hates Leeds United.
    Fucking get over yourself! The way you spout off about Leeds is there any wonder I think you hate us?? You can't make a comment without spouting your usual angel driven bullshit!

And who ever said I think Ken Bates is "pure as the cold driven snow"?? Or thats right once again Kermit makes things up to try get his deluded fucked up points across!
    I like how Ken has come to Leeds and tried every trick in the book (dirty or not, I don't care) to try help Leeds last season, I don't give a fuck if hes dirty, clean or downright fucking backwards, as long as he's fighting Leeds corner in every way thats all that matters to me, he speaks his mind and I like that, I also think he's got a quite good sense of humour!
    But I imagine with that halo shining out of your arse that if Ken took over at Bradford Shitty, you'd boycott games? You'd stop supporting them? You'd argue with others about how much of a wanker he is?? Get over yourself, holier than thou prick!

No matter what I think about Ken Bates, what has that got to do with my knowledge of FOOTBALL?? Fuck all, I've forgot more than you'll ever know!

And to talk about Smug British and how we've fucked up in terms of car manufacturing back in the day then compare it to football is bollocks! Football is a business but the main thing is that its Football and that is what matters most!
    So what if we don't have the strongest league in the world, do we as English get a trophy for that??
    I'd like to see how you feel about it in another 15 years when if the trend continues we'll have hardly any English players playing in the top flight never mind in the top four!

And..........breath ;)