Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lisbon treaty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone ahve any understanding of this?

It seems like politicians are forcing this upon the people of europe, they have not even explained it to us or giving us a vote.

I'm glad ireland has made a stand against it. I would vote against it specifically because it's not explained to me and feels like i'm being excluded. I don't like being told what's good for me when i don't know what it is or is decided by people i don't know or have voted for.

I get the feeling though, that if the Irish government says "the treaty is dead" then they will be completely excluded and on that basis they will continue with the constitution.

We need to be able to vote.

Comments

• Options
    None of this has ever been explained to us though. Regasrdless if the treaty makes good or bad for us we should atleast get a vote and an explination.
  • Options
    Hmm, there needs to be a treaty. They can't run Europe with the current rules anymore because of the new states. Other than that, I don't know much about it, although interestingly, the "No" vote campaigners in Ireland seemed to be a motley crew of various people who are completely anti-Europe anyway (and therefore have no interest in actually making it work, and so would vote no to anything put in front of them on Europe). Odd for a country that's benefitted from being in Europe more than pretty much any other. But I agree, nowhere near enough has been mentioned about what the treaty is about, not that I've looked into it in particular. I elect people to deal with boring structural and legal shit like this. Wake me up when there's a war to vote on.
  • Options
    None of this has ever been explained to us though. Regasrdless if the treaty makes good or bad for us we should atleast get a vote and an explination.

I agree. If a referendum had been allowed, all those leading the opposing campaigns would have ensured that the devil in the detail was laid out for all to understand, in layman's terms.

I suppose that the government is concerned that generally, people are animals of habit and just don't like change and would vote in opposition to the treaty based on that principle.

It does perhaps indicate that the government are not convinced that they could change the views of the majorty of the electorate ... and were hoping to just push it through.
  • Options
    I can understand how people seem to think changes are always for the negative and there's always some scret plan to stick us all in cages.

What's this european police force then? that's what i'm interested in.
  • Options
    Much as it goes against all my instincts to say this, but the Government does have a point in not having a referendum. We don't have referendums on other treaties, which impact on our laws and relations with other countries. And any referendum becomes less a discussion on whether this particular treaty is good or bad, but more on our relationship with the EU as a whole.

I want a referendum - but it's on the purely selfish reasons of a) giving the Labour Party a kicking and b) registering my opposition to a Federal EU.

I can see why the Government isn't keen.
  • Options
    I can understand how unity in europe is beneficial but i don't like the idea of a single state with it's army. It's not like i disagree with any sort of unity, it's just that it reeks of political spiel and as if it's not actually MEANT for the people of europe, more like relations and how it might benefit some countries, as if there is a selfish intrest of every country within it.
  • Options
    Much as it goes against all my instincts to say this, but the Government does have a point in not having a referendum. We don't have referendums on other treaties, which impact on our laws and relations with other countries.

Don't bloody promise one in your manifesto then. Besides, we should have had a referendum on Maastricht anyway.
  • Options
    I elect people to deal with boring structural and legal shit like this.

I hear what you are saying but for instance, I don't quite understand all the "structural and legal" laws on tax. However, if I feel that I am being unfairly untaxed, I may choose to vote in another party at the election. I fear that once we do have a treay like Lisbon ratified, we will have a huge mountain to climb to ever get out again at a later date, so I would like to be involved in the decisions made about it now.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I hear what you are saying but for instance, I don't quite understand all the "structural and legal" laws on tax. However, if I feel that I am being unfairly untaxed, I may choose to vote in another party at the election.

Of course, but surely you wouldn't expect a referendum on the tax structure?
  • Options
    Of course, but surely you wouldn't expect a referendum on the tax structure?

No, I wouldn't. But I have the opportunity to change the effect that a government has on my taxes by voting against them in an election. But with the Lisbon Treaty, I have no say now - or in a future election. So my views on the Treaty are effectively voiceless - and I am sure that once we are in a Treaty, it will be almost impossible to get out of it.
  • Options
    Odd for a country that's benefitted from being in Europe more than pretty much any other.

Firstly, Ireland was a poor country when it started recieving aid off the EU. As late as 1992 there was a book published "Is Ireland a 3rd World Country?" Now, it's one of the healthiest economies in the entire world. So now they'll have to act as provider which many EU countries don't like, including your truly. Also, Ireland has a history of protectionist and isolationist ideals. It's not like the whole of Irish society wanted to be part of the EU anyway.

Like the Nice Treaty, they're going to keep sending it through until Ireland says "yes". So it's inevitable really.
  • Options
    It all just seems a bit arkward since we don't actually know what this treay will mean now or post.

I like our country being an individual and not tied down to it's decisions which it ihnk really, it will be in some sense because of the interests with other countries eg if you do this then we will stop xxx

I don't know, i'm rambling on about this that i don't even know are true butt hat's the point we just don't know and i tihnk we should.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Like the Nice Treaty, they're going to keep sending it through until Ireland says "yes". So it's inevitable really.
    I know. If they were going to do it properly, then surely the could come up with a way for people to vote yes or no on the individual aspects of the treaty, effectively deciding how far they want to go, and working the final treaty around those votes. So permanent president: yes or no, permanent security force: yes or no, something to do with expense claims: yes or no.
  • Options
    I agree.

also apparently 80% of the proposals are ALREADY within the current constitutions power to change. Something like that anyway.
  • Options
    Firstly, can we please stop calling this ghastly document as the Lisbon Treaty? We all know the truth - this is the European Constitution under a new name. When a man as breathtakingly stupid as Macavity goes onto national TV to tell blatant lies about this being a completely different document, when most European leaders were honest enough to admit the opposite, the nation won't be fooled. The very same man has also been trying to tell us that no deals have been done with the DUP - why is our lazy, compliant media allowing him to get away with lying like this? Now, he says that we should continue the ratification process of this wretched constitution. This shoddy excuse of a Prime Minister is trying to stitch us up yet again. He must not be allowed to get away with it.

Secondly, let's ask this question. What does the EU do nowadays that is good for us? The money that we pay every year into this dreadful organisation seems to be pocketed mainly by its many corrupt MEPs, whose expenses claims would make even Westminster MPs blush. All the EU seems to do is impose new rules and regulations on our businesses and endlessly try to grab new powers for itself. It's doing everything possible in order to destroy our fishing industry and it does its best to prevent Britain from imposing proper border controls. The EU has long abandoned the claim that it's a trade organisation, and is now run by despots who are desperate to create a superstate to rival the USA.

Which brings me to the Liberal Democrats, incidentally. Their position on this has been shifty beyond belief. The permanently pathetic Nick Clegg decided to abandon their manifesto pledge to hold a referendum on this poisonous treaty. They acted in cahoots with Failed Labour in order to willingly deceive the public, telling the same lies that Macavity used. Instead, they wish to have a referendum on whether we should stay or leave the European Union. It isn't often that I agree with the party which gave us the truly odious Mark Oaten, (the man involved in a gay sex scandal with a rent boy a few years ago, lest anyone forget) but I think I have to on this occasion. Let us have a referendum which asks the question: "Do you believe that the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland should remain a member of the European Union? Yes or no".

I'm absolutely certain that the British public would agree with my view that Britain does not need this nasty, dictatorial union. That's the referendum we should be having, and having now. The sooner we're out, the better.

As for the Irish telling the EU to fuck off, it's simple. If almost the entire Irish political establishment (which is almost certainly as smug and self-serving as the one we're lumbered with in this country) is saying that something is good for you, no one is going to believe them. Doubtless the Irish will be told to vote again until they come up with the wrong answer, in favour of this awful constitution. To the Irish, I say - good on you, and keep telling Europe to go fuck itself. What a shame our leaders can't do the same.