Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Just finished school. What to do...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yup, that times come also! I've finished stat. schooling! :)

Now I'm thinking to myself, gawd what am I going to dooo! My cuz's and that suggest I work in tesco but that's not my cup of tea!

I'm going to be starting 6th form in september - Hopefuly! and Want something to by the time with and earn some moneys!

Now personaly, I would like to go into either a office enviroment or something directly linked with Computers.

Seeing as my work experience was done in a school enviroment, I would like to possibly keep with the same path.

Any ideas for a bored 16 year old :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take what you can get would be my advice. I only had work in my school jollies because I already worked there part time so did more shifts in the holidays.
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Take what you can get would be my advice. I only had work in my school jollies because I already worked there part time so did more shifts in the holidays.

yep. it's really really hard to get your first job, especially at this time of year when there are loads of students looking for employment. the best thing you can do is print of a stack of cv's and try everywhere and anywhere. don't be discouraged if you get turned down, and remember that you really can't afford to be picky. if you take a shit job then remember that it's all experience, and then when you want a better job you can show them that you have previous employment on your cv.
    I agree with the above. I found it really, really difficult to get my first job. And my second job. And my third job. Basically because I had little to no experience (my first job lasted 2 months, and I highly doubt the people in my second job would have given me a proper reference since they were just waiting for me to quit). Now I've been at my current job for 2 years, the only reason (and I mean the ONLY reason) I'm not leaving is because I can only work in the school holidays and not many people will want to employ me because of that, especially when they can get a whole load of school-leavers and pay them less than me for the same hours. Joyful.

Why not work in Tesco (who are pretty much guaranteed to have jobs going, much like McD's) or somewhere similar while you look for another, better job? At least you'll have money coming in and you will have at least some experience and therefore a better chance of getting a better job.