Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Together for London

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Hi guys :wave:

The TFL's 'Together for London' campaign has been brought to our attention. As a daily commuter this is something that captured my attention as I deal with many of the issues raised every day -but I'm not sure it quite gets to the heart of the main issue. :chin:

But how about you guys? Whether you're a fellow commuter, or have experienced London transport during it's busiest times - what are you views on this? Comments on the overall campaign - including the look and feel and if you'll be getting involved - are most welcome. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    **Helen** wrote: »
    but I'm not sure it quite gets to the heart of the main issue. :chin:

I saw these posters on the tube yesterday. I agree Helen I'm not sure they get to the heart of the issue.

I cant see many people taking much notice of them anyway. Most people will be taught by their parents about how to respect others at an early age, its something you learn from your parents as opposed to a poster campaign by TFL.

Traveling on the tube yesterday morning there was a guy next to me who was listening to his iPod. The noise from his iPod wasn't really my top concern, being trapped in like a sardine and squashed under his arm pit while paying £4 for the privilege was!
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    The noise from his iPod wasn't really my top concern, being trapped in like a sardine and squashed under his arm pit while paying £4 for the privilege was!

Nice!

I've been to London a few times, one of which was during rush hour. (around 8-9am I think) I had to get 2 tubes & a bus from my friend's house to get to Paddington get home. The bus was packed, but alright, the first tube was packed and there someone whose luggage (a really big suitcase) was on the floor and people were somehow expected to stand around that and we had to get off at each stop to allow people to get on & off. There were some people who decided that their bags having a seat was more important than other people having a seat. The second tube was much better, as it was quieter and there much less people on there.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Don't even get me started. London is a lot better at many things than elsewhere!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Calvin wrote: »

Traveling on the tube yesterday morning there was a guy next to me who was listening to his iPod. The noise from his iPod wasn't really my top concern, being trapped in like a sardine and squashed under his arm pit while paying £4 for the privilege was!

Exactly!
  • Options
    It doesn't get to the main problem, which is the over crowding and the ventilation, BUT that said, the other two aren't easy problems to fix, whereas a poster campaign encouring people to be more considerate passengers might make a difference to some peoples behaviour and make the main problems a slightly less unpleasant.

They've done it on the city buses round here, and it has helped, you see people turn their music down when they get on and see the posters.
  • Options
    I think it looks a bit patronizing to be honest! I have to get on rush hour tubes when I go to uni a few times a week and I think someone eating/talking on their phone/listening to loud music is the least of my worries.

At the end of the day it isn't a crime to eat or have a (even loud) conversation on your phone, people shouldn't be made to feel like they are doing something wrong for doing so. Yes, it is intimidating perhaps when there are 50 teenagers on the back of a bus all playing music on their phones, but I don't think that a normal person listening to an i-pod is something to get pissed off about.

The biggest problems that I think need to be addressed are frequency of trains, delays, overcrowding, lack of ventilation, and rising prices (particularly for the vast numbers of people commuting from areas outside the city).
  • Options
    has somebody seen the cartoon in a newspaper where humans were compared to cows??? a truck load of cows was on its way to the slaughterhouse and a people were crowded inside the train on their way to work....the cows were thinking, "at least we have to make this journey once!!!"
  • Options
    sunita wrote: »
    has somebody seen the cartoon in a newspaper where humans were compared to cows??? a truck load of cows was on its way to the slaughterhouse and a people were crowded inside the train on their way to work....the cows were thinking, "at least we have to make this journey once!!!"

I read somewhere that the average temperature on the London Underground during rush hour is actually higher than the legal maximum temperature for transporting livestock!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the average temperature on the London Underground during rush hour is actually higher than the legal maximum temperature for transporting livestock!

Yeah thats right. I think its something like 31 degrees. And livestock get more room. :D
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hi guys :wave:

The TFL's 'Together for London' campaign has been brought to our attention. As a daily commuter this is something that captured my attention as I deal with many of the issues raised every day -but I'm not sure it quite gets to the heart of the main issue. :chin:

But how about you guys? Whether you're a fellow commuter, or have experienced London transport during it's busiest times - what are you views on this? Comments on the overall campaign - including the look and feel and if you'll be getting involved - are most welcome. :thumb:
    I usually commute to university using the underground and my least worries is either loudmusic or people talking loud.TFL should first adopt ways to stop overcrowding and the delay to trains and also consider the fares they charge people and the poor service they give them.