Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finding a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just finished my course and am predicted a high 2:1 or a 1st on my degree...

I also have a lot of voluntary experience, especially with the environment and previously worked organising and promoting events.

So why then can I not get a job in London?

Apparently I don't have the admin experience to do temping (I have done 1 year in a reception and 2 in an office) and hardly anywhere will give me an interview.

I am running out of money fast. I have resorted to telephone fundraising.

I have excellent communication skills and am a motivated individual with a lot to offer, I was just wondering how I get my foot in the door or if there is a nack to job hunting.

I would like to work in the not for profit sector, but realise that is unrealistic at present.

Thing is, I'm starting to lose sleep over stress, as if I have to return home I am going back to a place with hardly any jobs at all... It's basically a trap so to speak. This also means I will have to go back in to the closet and will have to leave all my London friends behind. I am miserable at home and terrified to go back because of issues we have.

I am desperate... I'd even go back to cleaning if it meant I could not go back home (cleaning... now there's an idea!).

Advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Register yourself with your local authority as a business support worker. A few of my mates did this, and they got placements within a day or two which lasted several months.

*Edited*

Actually the registeration process can take a couple of weeks, but once you're registered then getting a placement can be quick.
    sanitize wrote: »
    Register yourself with your local authority as a business support worker. A few of my mates did this, and they got placements within a day or two which lasted several months.

What's that? And what does it entail? And does it pay living costs?
    Namaste wrote: »
    What's that? And what does it entail? And does it pay living costs?
    Your local council. eg, Swindon Borough Council, Birmingham City Council, London Borough of Bromley, Nottingham City Council etc.

They usually have Council Job Shops in the city centre. Pop in and ask them for an application form. The pay is quite good too. They'll probably give you admin duties to start with, but once you're working there you can ask about other departments and try to move around.