Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

going to a festival with my brother...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
While my sister and I get on great, we have always found it difficult to maintain a relationship with our younger brother, 17. He is socially ackward (but then again, so am I), doesn't make friends easily and never goes out at the weekends. While I am sympathetic, it is not really my job to find him playdates considering I am

1) 22, and don't know any 17 year olds
2) I don't live at home anymore.

Me and my sister are going to a festival in a few weeks, and I've been looking forward to it for aaages. We've spent quite a bit on tickets and transport and we just wanted a day to chill out and relax with uni mates.

My mother is playing the guilt card and asking us would we mind taking him along. I can see this being a disaster, since my sister is taking her boyfriend and I am going with my 22 year old mate, and will be drinking all day. Her arguement is that, "och sure he'll just take himself off during the day and meet up with you later that night to return home"

I adore my family but I think my mum is being unreasonable.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Cross your fingers that it is sold out?

I think you need to set your boundaries now. You are meeting your own friends and you will not be in a position to babysit. But I don't really think you can say that he can't come, especially as I assume that you are getting a lift from your mum?
  • Options
    We've arranged a bus to get us there and home again. From ten in the morning, returning home at 11. In situations like this I always say an outright, "NO" then I see my mum's face and change my mind. She feels sorry for my brother and so do I, but looking after a 17 year old (at a 18+ festival) is just not something I can agree with.

I just wish he had some buddies to pal around with :(
  • Options
    Does your mum know it is an 18+ festival? If she mollycoddles him she might not want him to attend a festival like that.

It's a tough one because I don't think your mum is being unreasonable in asking you to go with him but I don't think you're being unreasonable in not wanting to babysit on your fun day out with mates.

I'd say set your boundaries and explain that you can't be with him all day. Try and talk him out of wanting to come by emphasising all the bands he hates. Try and talk your mum out of letting him by telling her about the age limit and how strictly enforced it is and how you wouldn't want him to be turned away at the gate and be humiliated by it.
  • Options
    your mum's said hell take care of himself during the day and meet you at night to come home? what exactly does she think he's going to get out of it then? if he doesn't make friends easily and she doesn't expect you to be with him all day, that means he'd be on his own which i dont think would be particulalry fair anway.
  • Options
    I can understand she doesn't want him to feel left out but I'm sure that he will if he has the spend the time on his own. I think it's unfair to expect you to take him. I agree with everyone.
  • Options
    If i t's 18+ explain that, and how you know that every has to take ID, say you'll keep an eye out for something suitable to take him to.
  • Options
    ID is a good excuse, remind her that anyone who looks remoely under 21 will get IDd.
  • Options
    Does he actually want to go? If he feels awkward in situations like that I'm just thinking that he might not even want to go.

Maybe try and compromise with your mum and offer to spend some time with your brother at some other opportunity? Also what others have said, emphasise the festival is 18+
  • Options
    I feel a bit sorry for him after reading that !

I think you should have a chat with him and see if he actually wants to go or if it's just your mum. If he doesn't want to go maybe you could do something else with him instead like cinema or a drink in the pub to try and get him out of his shell and improve your relationship?
  • Options
    I feel a bit sorry for him after reading that !

I think you should have a chat with him and see if he actually wants to go or if it's just your mum. If he doesn't want to go maybe you could do something else with him instead like cinema or a drink in the pub to try and get him out of his shell and improve your relationship?

Me too - he is hardly going to come out of his shell if you never take him anywhere, you might even discover that he is fun to be with as well....
  • Options
    my brother was like this but luckily i didn't have a parent teling me to hang round with them

i would say to your mother that you can't take him on this occasion as it is an 18+ festival

then maybe start taking him out to the ub, if he drinks, or cinema or something

thats what i've done with two of my brothers and they started making their own friends when we were out and are now fine :)
  • Options
    Forcing him into stuff like this, especially ala his sister, really isn't going to help him. He needs to motivate himself, or get some mates to go with and really grow outward in that respect.

Anyway, sorry to hear you have been roped into this.