Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Gay/Lesbian relationships are different from Straight relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, what i am referring here is how they differ philosophically and emotionally for an individual.

because sex is part of both relationships but in straight relationship reproduction is the thing which makes it different, so how these relationships are different esp. emotioanlly?

Comments

• Options
    i dont think there is likely to be anything about a homeosexual relationship emotionally that you couldnt find in a heterosexual relationship somewhere.

All relationships are different
  • Options
    i dont think there is likely to be anything about a homeosexual relationship emotionally that you couldnt find in a heterosexual relationship somewhere.

All relationships are different
    Ay. And ignore anyone who tries to tell you that gay relationships can't be as emotionally close as straight ones because they aren't valid somehow (cf. Christian evangelicals); it's bullshit.
  • Options
    because sex is part of both relationships but in straight relationship reproduction is the thing which makes it different, so how these relationships are different esp. emotioanlly?

These days, reproduction plays a very small part of a heterosexual's sex life. The fact that contraception is used and most families don't have many more than two children, indicates that their sex lives does not revolve around procreation.

Emotionally, no difference. You love someone. Period.
  • Options
    I study Sociology and I remember doing some reading for a unit on Gender Identities and the Sociology of Sexuality in which the writer argued that homosexual (especially lesbian) relationships are inherently more equal than heterosexual relationships, because there's no difference in status. You are viewed as fulfilling the same roles in society, so there's no patriarchy or domination (even on a subtle, subconscious level). I don't know quite how much I agree, because obviously all relationships have different levels of equality, but it's an interesting thought.

ETA: This is in no way meant to imply that I think heterosexual relationships are about domination and are unequal, it's just that the article I read (I'll see if I can find it) argued that as a general rule men are set up by society to fulfil one role, which unfortunately is often seen as the higher-status role, and women are set up to fulfil another one. As a result the two genders begin to settle into their status hierarchy and this translates to the way in which they relate to one another. In a gay relationship those status differentials just don't exist.
  • Options
    I can kind of understand that .. although in many same sex relationships, partners may assume 'butch' and 'femme' roles' but, I guess, this may not neccessarily need to translate into one having a 'higher status' role.
  • Options
    i could just be misinformed by my own experience, but ive often found that of all the gay people ive known and the relationships theyve had, they tend to be considerabley more......whats a good word.....turbulent than straight relationships. ive noticed a tendency to fall quickly, often and hard into such relationships. maybe this has something to do with the nature of gay relationships, or maybe i just know some unstable gay folk. hehe.
  • Options
    I think there is a difference.

For example, your ex will have probably slept with another ex of yours and will probably know your best friend, that girl you pulled two nights ago and will have a crush on the girl you fancy. :lol: Then you will join a lesbian and bisexual messageboard to vent your problems, somebody will pull you up on being racist, another will try to hijack the thread with their problems, then you delete realising that somebody you know also uses the boards and that your ex told them things which makes her hate you... Yadda yadda...

I have never had this when dating guys*.

But emotionally, I have found no difference. The only real problem is the fact you can get the crap kicked out of you for dating a member of the same sex, when with dating a member of the opposite sex, people don't care (well, usually... there will always be the exception).

But as Suzy said, all relationships are different.

* Disclaimer: This is a pisstake of sterotypes and interbreeding within the scene, not a homophobic remark.
  • Options
    i could just be misinformed by my own experience, but ive often found that of all the gay people ive known and the relationships theyve had, they tend to be considerabley more......whats a good word.....turbulent than straight relationships. ive noticed a tendency to fall quickly, often and hard into such relationships. maybe this has something to do with the nature of gay relationships, or maybe i just know some unstable gay folk. hehe.
    Or maybe... Just maybe it is hard to find somebody compatible to date because you have less choices.

I also don't think it is anything to do with being gay... I think that a homophobic society contributes towards making relationships harder for some people.

I know some gay women who have been in relationships for years, some who have a lot of flings. The same with straight people as well.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    * Disclaimer: This is a pisstake of sterotypes and interbreeding within the scene, not a homophobic remark.

It's a shame people are so worried about causing offence simply by retelling their own experiences that have to put disclaimers. But anyway.

I have a view that is quite simplistic and based on logic and I often get shouted at because people misinterpret it. But fundamentally heterosexual relationships occur because of a biological instinct to procreate. If this wasn't there, we would be all friends I'm sure but I doubt people would couple up and live in two-person units. Homosexual people have the same feelings but for the 'incompatible' gender, biologically speaking.

Now I must reiterate that there's nothing wrong with this, as whenever I say this people read into it as me being homophobic. It's just an explanation from my perspective of the urges we get to be with someone, not just sexually but in a partnership.

Having said that, because of ignorance in wider society it has created a subculture for homosexual and bisexual people (often related to the 'scene' apparently) because they have felt marginalised they have gone 'underground'. In this scene there have developed their own norms etc. which may be different from the rest of society. So in that sense people in that scene may be in different sorts of relationships typically than those in the rest of society, typically. 'tops' and 'bottoms' seem to be a fairly commonplace thing with at least in my experience older guys seeking to pick up younger guys.

I don't know exactly how the relationships pan out but I expect they're not exactly the same and from friends who've been in them don't tend to be as stable. But homosexual friends who don't subscribe to the 'scene' don't seem to have any differences at all from heterosexual relationships except the fact that it's harder to pick people up.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's a shame people are so worried about causing offence simply by retelling their own experiences that have to put disclaimers. But anyway.
    No, it was a parody of what a few gay mates and myself have experienced. None of us have had it that extreme. :)
    Having said that, because of ignorance in wider society it has created a subculture for homosexual and bisexual people (often related to the 'scene' apparently) because they have felt marginalised they have gone 'underground'. In this scene there have developed their own norms etc. which may be different from the rest of society. So in that sense people in that scene may be in different sorts of relationships typically than those in the rest of society, typically. 'tops' and 'bottoms' seem to be a fairly commonplace thing with at least in my experience older guys seeking to pick up younger guys.
    Actually I disagree on this to a point. If I were a heterosexual woman I would hang out at gay clubs, just to avoid hassle from men, aggressive behaviour and fights, which all seem less frequent in gay clubs.

'Top' and 'bottom' doesn't have to do with older men shagging younger boys though.

Many older men try to pick up young girls too and there are plenty of kinksters out there of any sexual orientation.
  • Options
    'tops' and 'bottoms' seem to be a fairly commonplace thing with at least in my experience older guys seeking to pick up younger guys.

Some older gay guys may well try and pick up younger gay guys but that works in the straight world too ... there are plenty of older straight guys sniffing around young women. And there is nothing wrong with that. The younger person just needs to say 'no'. I don't take offence by being chatted up by an older gay guy. I just say 'no' (if I am not interested) and/or if they get especially lecherous, get them moved on by club staff.

And being a 'top' should not infer an older guy. Guys are active/passive whatever their age. I know quite a few older gay guys that are 100% passive.
    Namaste wrote: »
    'Top' and 'bottom' doesn't have to do with older men shagging younger boys though.

Many older men try to pick up young girls too and there are plenty of kinksters out there of any sexual orientation.

:yes:
  • Options

I have a view that is quite simplistic and based on logic and I often get shouted at because people misinterpret it. But fundamentally heterosexual relationships occur because of a biological instinct to procreate. If this wasn't there, we would be all friends I'm sure but I doubt people would couple up and live in two-person units. Homosexual people have the same feelings but for the 'incompatible' gender, biologically speaking.

well exactly. its the same for relationships of any type. The biological desire to procreate and keep a union for child rearing manifests itself into breeding heterosexuals pairing, non breeding heterosexuals, and homosexuals of all types too. We naturally pair up, the biological origins are still the same