Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to do with my house.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No matter how clean I get my house looking, it still feels a bit dirty you know? It needs a new bathroom and kitchen fitting, but i've got more chance of clearing up at the Olympics than that happening.

What can I do with a dull kitchen that's cheap, just a new lick of paint? And my bathroom just looks dated, wanna get it looking credable without spending mega bucks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lino on the floor, paint on the walls, paint or change the cupboard doors and get some cheap but nice looking cupboard handles. You can also get new matching handles for toilet and pullies the light string in bathroom (unless it's a switch). If you can stretch to it, change the light fittings to nice bright and modern, or however you prefer your kitchen/bathroom lit. I like bright halogen in kitchen and softer in bathroom. Curtains and blinds also date a room, so new fabric and make your own or just buy some nice but cheap new stuff.

Pic please, as J suggests...
    Yeah painting or changing the cupboard doors is one way to bring things up to date for less cost than doing the whole kitchen. New floor makes a lot of difference too - depending on your surface you might be able to put floor tiles down or a lino cheaply.

Not really sure about your bathroom. We got a new bathroom set in our old house for a couple of hundred, but then my dad fitted it and a lot would go on fitting otherwise. Again you could look at replacing the flooring and lighting (though you would have to exercise some restraint in kitchen / bathroom electrics because anything other than direct replacement would be notifiable work)
    When i lived in a flat, then walls were quite old and tired looking. All we did to the wallas was paint them magnolia, and it seemed to instantly brighten the room up. We were very short on money, and it was the best option at the time!
    If you have an avacado/salmon bathroom suite there's probs not much you can do but replace it! Try the freeads, or even ebay for cheap second hands suites that you can pick up locally. Tile paint is cheaper and easier than replacing tired tiles, a lick of paint and a few pictures and a new lino floor will get your bathroom looking nice enough

For kitchen, take off cupboard doors and paint them - spray will do the trick and add some funky handles. Again tile painting is cheaper than replacing. Try pulling up your existing carpet/lino and check the state of the floorboards underneath - you may find them in good nick and a bit of sanding and paint could leave with with a funky floor for a very reasonable price. Make sure you can put the old floor back easily if there's nothing nice underneath though!

Maaan I should be on changing rooms :o
    Even something as minor as scrubbing the grouting with bleach can make a big difference.
    budda wrote: »
    Even something as minor as scrubbing the grouting with bleach can make a big difference.

Yep, or you can get grout whitener if its stubborn, or different coloured stains for grout.
    Oh, and new sealant round the bath will make it look better too.

You can get bath paint, I've done it but I think it took a few years off my life the solvents involved are deadly.
    Plus just getting a few cheap accessories can really make a difference - and some nice pictures on the wall.

Ohh and plants they are good as well
    We have an old and tired kitchen and bathroom in our house. We painted the cupboard doors, painted the work surface a different colour, painted the walls ( the kitchen was tiled from floor to ceiling in pink bathroom tiles :yuck: ) and put down a new floor. You can get self-adhesive vinyl tiles and it makes the area so much cleaner, we spent about £50 on tiles and £50 on paint at Wickes and it's done the job quite well.