Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quick wine help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm getting somebody a white zinfandel for a gift. I don't know anything about wine, I'm not fancy like that :p Is there anything I should look for when choosing one or just go for the prettiest bottle :p I'll just go to a local liquor store, they only have like 2 aisles of wine I'm not sure if they'd have alot of brand you guys would have? But feel free to reccomend brands too!

Comments

• Options
    White Zinfandel is rose. The most popular in the pub I worked in was Blossom Hill White Zinfandel. We used to go thru shitloads.

Not sure if you will have Blossom Hill in the states though, maybe ask the advise of the staff in the store or ask some friends who do drink to recommend you one.
  • Options
    im sure blossom hill is californian so probably can get it there.

If its a gift, id just go for the nicest bottle!
  • Options
    Ernest & Julio Gallo do a nice White Zinfandel :yum:
  • Options
    Callifornian Zinfandel, in my opinion, is the best of the bunch. They don't press the grape so hard so there's less tanin. If the person you're buying for prefers white over red, then go for a Callifornian one :)
  • Options
    Thank you all! All the bottles were plain and boring :( The stuff was freakishly cheap! So I bought both, one Blossom and one Gallo. I might keep one for myself. Cost $10 for both bottles. I think I'm going to have to switch out my captian for wine. :p And they both say California so if they do suck I'll blame Rubber :lol:
  • Options
    Keep the Gallo, its really really nice. I think you'll love it ;)
  • Options
    So I bought both, one Blossom and one Gallo. I might keep one for myself. Cost $10 for both bottles.

You bastard - that'd cost at least $16 in London...and a large carbon footprint of course. :blush:

And you wonder that the US once implemented prohibition! :eek2:
  • Options
    Usually, although not always, the higher the alcohol content, the better the wine. I have been told that by numerous wine experts and it is one of their 'tricks' of finding reasonable wines in the 'reduced to clear' bins.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Usually, although not always, the higher the alcohol content, the better the wine. I have been told that by numerous wine experts and it is one of their 'tricks' of finding reasonable wines in the 'reduced to clear' bins.

:yes:

I've heard this too and use it as a general rule. It does seem to hold true.
  • Options
    Black Tower rose is yum-the only wine that i can drink
  • Options
    The Gallo grenache and zinfandel are both nice. Better than the Blossom Hill one. There was another one which was even nicer, but I've forgotten the name and not seen it since, so I can't remember what it's called. Which is not much use to anyone really.