Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what should i do when im older ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
no stupid answer plz ..
im struggling to work out what i want to do when im older ..
i love to be active
i love to be organised
i love to be creative
i love to work with kids..
my mum said that i should become a teacher as i get on well with children but i just dont know if i want to do that, i need science as GCSE A*-C but im rubbish at it and plus i woould hate it if all the people are looking at me to assess if im good enough. i did like the idea of working with cvomputers but i had some repiles saying that it horrible.
what is you job ?
what do u think i should do ?
thanxs
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Do what YOU want to do not what other people think you should do. Have a look around at different jobs that might interest you and what they involve.

Are you totally clueless? If so, the best you can do is keep trying your best with your exams and hopefully you will make your mind up.

I didn't have a clue either until it came to deciding whether to go to University or not and then I kinda had to make a snap decision.
  • Options
    Didn't you say you wanted to be a forensic computer analyst?

No-one can tell you what to do. If you really are unsure, then you could get work experience doin different things adn see what that's like.
  • Options
    I don't know how old you are, but by the sound of it, you're still in school. Sorry if I'm wrong. I'm graduating from uni this July and I still have no idea what I want to do :nervous:

Do as much work experience as you can in loads of different fields. Work or volunteer as much as possible. Try anything and everything.

I've done work experience in various fields that I thought I'd be interested in. At one point, I was seriously considering applying for a PGCE, then I did some volunteer work in a school and although I enjoyed the time with the kids, I realised that teaching wasn't for me, so try to get work experience in anything you might be interested in.

If other people say such-and-such is bad, listen to them, but try it for yourself too. Everyone's different, so you might love what they hate.

Good luck :thumb:

Oh, and go on prospects (career info for uni students, but its really good) to look up careers you might be interested in. They also have a test to see what kind of work you might be interested in, which can give you some ideas for careers.
  • Options
    What about working in a nursery, the higher up the career path you get, the more organising, the lower down the more hands on stuff. There are diff age ranges from tiny babies to after school and summer club ages. Just an idea.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Do what YOU want to do not what other people think you should do. Have a look around at different jobs that might interest you and what they involve.

yeah.

you're very young and there's lots of things you can do, you don't have to have one job for the rest of your life.

are you thinking of carrying on in education or going straight to work? you could do a short vocational course like a btec first diploma, which is only a year but is GCSE standard and could help you get into a career like childcare. someone has suggested trying a nursery? i think that sounds like a really good idea for you if you really like children. you could get some work experience at the same time, like get some basic qualifications whilst helping out somewhere.

don't worry too much about deciding what you want to do, there is no real rush and if you make decisions too hastily you're more likely to get them wrong. it wouldn't be the end of the world if you just got a temporary job doing something like shopwork until you decide what you want to do in the long-term.

:)
  • Options
    childcare? always a good one. dont need amazing grades. or child nurse?