Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

moving into your own place...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm scared. i have never lived my myself before, always with family or housemates.

what sort of things will i need? i am thinking it won't be that different to a house share (minus the company) .

this is a pointless post sorry, i am just really nervous!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on what you are moving in to.

No it wouldn't be that different to a house share, but in a house share there are often some communal items that you would not get in a place on your own.

Not very easy for me to say because I don't know what you use. Make a list of stuf you use and then another list that is stuff you own, then compare them.
  • KTGKTG Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey,
    How exciting to be moving into your own place.
    It’s understandable you find it daunting when you’ve always lived with other people, but just think of the space to yourself and no arguments over washing up!
    Mist’s advice about writing lists is definitely a good idea. If you’re renting, find out from your landlord what is include, if it’s furnished. It really varies from place to place what’s provided- sometimes you’ll get everything from a hoover to pots and pans, a dustpan and brush to candlesticks and a bar of soap, other times you’ll just get a sofa and a bed!

It’s worth remembering though that everything they provide in the flat should appear on an inventory with its condition, and they’ll expect you to return all the items in more or less the same state. Check to make sure you agree with the inventory, as sometime’s a landlord’s idea of ‘good condition’ isn’t always the universal one!

Good luck and enjoy,
    Katie
    :)
    I live on my own and love it so so much.

I dunno what you need really. What have you got so far?
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I moved into my own house in August 2006. This was the order I had items:

1. Kettle! A must-get-first item!

2. Cleaning stuff like polish, surface cleaner, cloths.
    3. Basic food for the day, plus soap, loo roll.
    4. Fridge.
    5. Microwave.
    6. Bed, plus a duvet, pillows and mattress.
    7. Cooker.
    8. Washing machine.
    9. Computer/TV/radio.. assuming you have these already.

Original topic by xlittlexstarx