Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Do We Stop Getting These Phone Calls?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since Monday, we keep getting phone calls, but either no-one answers (I think once or twice I've heard someone breathing down the phone as well) or there's just a dialing tone. My dad phoned our telephone provider on Tuesday (he did it before when this happened as well) but we're still etting these calls.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Have you signed up to the Telephone Preference Service? If you do 1471 is there a number or is it withheld?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We have been getting lots of of spammy phone calls recently. From the number 01234567890. It is irritating. Have signed up to the telephone preference service but can't see it doing too much as our number is *everywhere* as it is an ex-business telephone number. It is still listed in yellow pages too :|

The company doesn't trade in this area anymore, either!

Gah :|
  • Options
    can you get your number changed?
  • Options
    tps is a nice idea but every company I've worked for has just ignored it and risked the fine... don't think it's marketting calls though as what would be the point in not speaking. I've chucked mine but I'm sure there's a page in the front of the phone book that explains what to do about funny phone calls.
  • Options
    They should do away with withheld numbers. One has a right to know who is calling them. It is also a licence for nuisance calls as all the caller has to do is withhold their number.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Have you signed up to the Telephone Preference Service?

I'm sure we did this before. I think (fdor some reason) it blocked certain mobile numbers as well.:confused:
    If you do 1471 is there a number or is it withheld?

Yes.
    They should do away with withheld numbers. One has a right to know who is calling them. It is also a licence for nuisance calls as all the caller has to do is withhold their number.

:yes:
  • Options
    If it is a company calling you, then TPS will more than likely help but it can take up to 8 weeks for the data to be updated. OFCOM requires companies to present their numbers so you can call and find out who it is, for example most companies have a recorded message stating you were recently called by xyz for marketing purposes. So if you are registered with TPS and still getting marketing calls, contact the service provider of the company and also OFCOM

If it is an individual witholding the number then calling you can ask for anonymous caller reject on your line which stops anyone calling you who withold their numbers.

The reason some mobiles may not get through even if they present their number on out bound calls, is due to the route it takes to reach your landline, if for any reason during the path the call takes, the information is lost or uncertain about the presentation of the number the protocol is to not present it, purely to stop numbers of being displayed that should not be.
  • Options
    OFCOM requires companies to present their numbers

chuckle