Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Supporting Jim...

Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
Hiya,

Just so you know and don't get scared and wonder who the hell the new guy is, I'm Olly and I'm going to be one of the moderators on the politics board. We're all a bit worried that JimV is spending too much time worrying about issues that end in -ism when there is GTA4 to complete and ITV3+1 to watch.

You might have seen me already on the boards, as I introduced myself elsewhere. I work at YouthNet as the Editorial Manager; which means I am supposed to know the difference between your and you're and (unlike certain Apprentice candidates) know where to put the apostrophe in National Singles' Day.
But despite the fact that this is one of my bookmarked sites, I'm not a grammar pedant. Indeed, using someone's inability to to use correct spellings and grammar as a reason not to value what they say is one of my pet-hates on internet forums.

Politics-wise, things that float my boat are:
* Voter participation. I very nearly ended up working at the Electoral Commission on a voter engagement project.
* Votes at 16.
* Active citizenship. Armchair politics bores me. Don't like something? Get out there and change it.
* Being fair to political representatives. The MPs I know (yep that is a namedrop!) all tell me that the thing that pisses them off more than anything is that people will complain about MPs not representing their views but they haven't bothered to contact them.

Things that bore the pants off of me:
* Basically anyone who doesn't value the point of debate and discussion. If we automatically all agreed with each other then the we'd still being living in caves. It was only because people dared to challenge conventional wisdom that we progressed to where we are today. It's not perfect, I grant you. But that didn't happen by bullying and attacking each other, it happened by learning from each other, being challenged about why we believe what we believe.

Hopefully you'll see me on the boards; but not too much... this is in addition to my job so please don't give me too much grief that I end up spending all hours in the office!

Olly

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Another sacrifice for P&D....

Er, I mean, welcome :wave:
    Welcome on board :)
    I complain about my MP because he completely stopped responding to me, that and he's a yes man of the highest order with a lower rebellion rate than Blair.
    Welcome Olly!

Obviously, to have any credibility, you will need to knock up a cool AV. Mine is a bad example - but you know what I mean. ;)
    Olly_B wrote: »
    * Being fair to political representatives. The MPs I know (yep that is a namedrop!) all tell me that the thing that pisses them off more than anything is that people will complain about MPs not representing their views but they haven't bothered to contact them.

My MP ignores my e-mails :p (except the first time when he thought I was an OAP by mistake lol, I got a lovely letter written in cursive writing). My MEP basically told me to get stuffed when I asked him about something (Tory who is more interested in keeping Britain for the British than European affairs), even though the European courts then took it up with Microsoft (unfair price discrimination based on location since it's a heterogeneous product with same cost of production / distribution). And gave out a big fine, if I recall correctly.

But welcome to P&D, it kind of looks after itself, just ban stargalaxy every now and again and it should be all rosy.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hi! Remember to not hunt and kill posters from here, even if it's difficult. :p
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    My unfair price discrimination based on location since it's a heterogeneous product with same cost of production / distribution

Why are you against price discrimination?
    Being fair to political representatives. The MPs I know (yep that is a namedrop!) all tell me that the thing that pisses them off more than anything is that people will complain about MPs not representing their views but they haven't bothered to contact them.

bet I know more of them than you :razz:

I think the other thing is that people write to MPs and expect the MP to agree with them. if you write in to kate Hoey and say you support tighter controls on fox-hunting, don't neccessarily expect that's she going to drop her own beliefs to accommodate yours. MPs are representatives (free to exercise their own views), not delegates (who vote the way those who sent them to Westminster tell them to do)
    It's only a matter of time, Olly. Within months, you'll have turned into Jim V Mark II. :p
    hello
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Why are you against price discrimination?

Not the right thread :p but I'm not against some price discrimination. Just when it's not accurately representing costs i.e. depending which side of the border you live on your may have to pay more or less. This isn't the same as duty taxes, this is like Ferrari adding a 20% premium to every car sold in the UK because we're rich, ON TOP of their costs.

But if you are really bothered start a different thread, I'm saying hello to olly in here ;) (fwiw msoft got banhammered the next month, lulz)
    Hello. :wave: Is this an admittance that the omnipotent Jim needs a hand?

Anyway, P&D is pretty self-policing (mainly because there's not much you're not allowed to say), but it does get a lot of trolls.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm not against some price discrimination. Just when it's not accurately representing costs i.e. depending which side of the border you live on your may have to pay more or less.

Price discrimination arises from consumer preference and subjective value not costs.

(fwiw msoft got banhammered the next month, lulz)

oh go EU yay win one for the consumer
    Hopefully you'll see me on the boards...

Be a lot easier to see you if you got yourself an AV like the rest of us .. :)
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    DG wrote: »
    Be a lot easier to see you if you got yourself an AV like the rest of us .. :)

Fixed. Although doesn't actually show me (only an interpretation of what I longed to become).

You can actually see me here.

Have a great weekend...

Olly
    Although doesn't actually show me (only an interpretation of what I longed to become).

A girl between a bunch of blokes??? Dirty boy! :p
    Fixed. Although doesn't actually show me (only an interpretation of what I longed to become).

You can actually see me here.

Have a great weekend...

Olly

Someone with a bad haircut?

ETA - though as I had a Bon Jovi perm when I was eighteen that they may be hypocrisy on my part