Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quick question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need your help, please! In Britain, is it acceptable to be asked your ethnic background in a job or internship interview for example? I mean, for someone who only by looks you suspect is from Asian origin, for example (but were born and have grown in Britain, and therefore speak perfect English), is it commonly accepted that they will be asked about their ethnic background? What are the possible consequences if they did ask it?

Thanks folks, I'm writing some coursework and I want to highlight some differences I perceive between Britain and France. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    over here you have to list whether or not you're catholic/protestant and what ethnic background you're from but afaik the employers dont see it its some monitoring thing, and chances are it only applies to over here! (northern ireland)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    z- wrote: »
    over here you have to list whether or not you're catholic/protestant and what ethnic background you're from but afaik the employers dont see it its some monitoring thing, and chances are it only applies to over here! (northern ireland)

:yes:

Normally, on an application form, this info would go straight to whoever deals with equal opps in the company and the rest of the application would go to whoever is shortlisting.
  • Options
    But surely if it's for monitoring, it's precisely to avoid discrimination based on those grounds, isn't it? And that's why employers don't see it, right?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    But surely if it's for monitoring, it's precisely to avoid discrimination based on those grounds, isn't it? And that's why employers don't see it, right?

I think it is more for statistic purposes rather than anything else. Those who shortlist / interview, generally shouldn't see the monitoring form.
  • Options
    I think it is more for statistic purposes rather than anything else. Those who shortlist / interview, generally shouldn't see the monitoring form.

ya i had interview today and accidently handed the form back to her with the other forms and she said 'no im not meant to see that fold it up and put it in the box over there!'
  • Options
    So, if the info gets asked to monitor that there are equal opportunities for all the candidates, then the employers would not ask this kind of info on the interview, right? What I'd like to know is if, for example, an applicant gets asked this question, what would be their reaction? Would they be entitled to take legal actions for example if they felt they were being discriminated against based on their ethnic origin? Or is that too OTT?

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    You wouldn't ever be asked this question in an interview in the UK.

I guess someone could be entitled to take legal action if the question was asked in a way that was insulting or they felt led to them not being given the role but when people say this isn't something that gets asked they don't mean... oh this doesn't really happen much or it only happens sometimes...

It really doesn't ever get asked

At most you could gets omeone who could be asked about time spent on their cv working in another country or they may be asked if they've moved from one country to England about differences about working for say similar industries in different countries but not something that would directly ask about ethnicity.

You could use askTheSite, but I guess your still outside the uk, if you were in the uk the legal advisors could tell you the legal ramifications.

I imagine the applicants reaction would be somewhere better surprise, horror and shock to be honest.
  • Options
    Thank you that's very helpful, and confirms what I thought tbh. ;)
  • Options
    We have the Equal Opportunities Commision and Commision for Racial Equality, their websites may have some interesting info for you.
  • Options
    :yes:

Normally, on an application form, this info would go straight to whoever deals with equal opps in the company and the rest of the application would go to whoever is shortlisting.

Quoted because littlemissy contains epic correct knowledge.