Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my first interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay so i got my first proper interview on friday morning, I only found out today so im really unprepared i dont even have a suit to wear, thankfully being a student ive got time tomoro to go shopping ive found the suit i want on a website i'm going to have a skirt and jacket but i dont know wether i should wear a shirt underneath or just a smart top? the other thing is about a hair cut I've needed it cut a long time but havent got around to it, should I get it cut anyway an have that new haircut over enthusiastic look or jus put it up an hope they dont notice the split ends.....
Im kinda freaked out because i honestly cant even remember what the job is! i've applied for so many recently i cant work out what this one is!

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    First thing you need to do is find out what the job is for. That's the most important thing, otherwise you cannot prepare for it. Surely you'll know roughly what the job is given the name of the company and/or the sorts of jobs you are applying for?

With regards to clothes, wear what you feel comfortable in. I went for some teaching interviews and didn't wear a suit. I still got a job, though. Make sure you look smart and professional. If you need a hair cut, get a hair cut.
  • Options
    its something in marketing a training position i just cant find the original job advert
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sopycookie wrote: »
    its something in marketing a training position i just cant find the original job advert

If you have an interview you need to research the job and position properly. Othewise you will have no chance IMHO.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Sopycookie,

As others have said, wear what you feel comfortable. If you can suss out what other people going into the office tend to wear - if it's all jeans and trainers then you probably don't need a suit.

And know lots about the company and the job. Don't feel bad about phoning the HR department up and asking for a new copy of the job description / person spec. Those are the killer pieces of information that will tell you what they are looking for; so trying to do an interview without knowing about them will be, erm, difficult.

Check out some useful stuff from TheSite.org about job interviews - including what you need to know and good body language.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

Olly
  • Options
    Its important to prepare, but the most important thing is to relax.
  • Options
    As an employer, I conduct a fair few interviews, albeit for minimum wage work.

The biggest bit of advice I can give is to be yourself. I've sat through hours of people reeling off nonsense about teamwork, motivation, people skills and other assorted rubbish. That's not to say you shouldn't mention or give examples of your track record in these aspects, but try to avoid any of the generic responses most career advisors seem to feed people.

I like it when people pre-empt my questions, so you might want to give that a go. Try to work out where the interviewer is going with a certain line of questions, and broaden your answers to encompass any further questions you expect to be asked.

The people I have employed have always been those who I've felt I've got on with, where the interview has become more of a conversation than a straightforward question/answer dialogue. Don't be afraid to ask the interviewer questions as you go along, and try to make a bit of smalltalk around the questions and answers.

With regards to what to wear, I always expect people to make an effort. When in doubt, always dress up rather than down. A suit won't do you any harm, but if you feel more comfortable in shirt and trousers, unless it's a fairly high calibre job, it's unlikely to do you any harm.