Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dissertation copyright

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My university owns the copyright to my dissertation. How rude! Is that normal? I don't really mind; I highly doubt I'd be refused the right to quote it or derive work from it in the future if I ever really want to, but still...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They own mine too!
    not at my uni, author owns.
    It is quite common, yes.
    i believe thats UCL policy
    piccolo wrote: »
    My university owns the copyright to my dissertation. How rude! Is that normal? I don't really mind; I highly doubt I'd be refused the right to quote it or derive work from it in the future if I ever really want to, but still...
    Why are you so bothered? Is it that brilliant of a dissertation that the university is going to sell it?
    Why are you so bothered? Is it that brilliant of a dissertation that the university is going to sell it?

Personally, it's just a matter of principle. My supervisor was the biggest waste of time - EVER! If substantial support and help was given, then I might be able to acknowlede that the university had a big part in the completion of my dissertation - but fact is that that was not the case.
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Personally, it's just a matter of principle. My supervisor was the biggest waste of time - EVER! If substantial support and help was given, then I might be able to acknowlede that the university had a big part in the completion of my dissertation - but fact is that that was not the case.
    I'm not sure I follow. Giving you access to library resources, access to other students, giving you a supervisor in the first place (regardless of whether he/she was a waste of space or not), and giving you an internationally recognised qualification isn't enough? Why would you want the copyright? This is all because of the uproar over student's not having copyright to their work after it's submitted to turnitin.com... I don't understand why you would want the copyright? If you're going to publish anything, the university having copyright doesn't stop you from doing so. It also doesn't stop you gaining monetary recompense for your work. Even if you submit the work to a journal, it's the journal who has to overall copyright, not the author. Such is academic life I'm afraid.
    Oh I know. It's not really an issue. It's just that as said, on principle I don't find it particularly fair in my specific situation.
    And believe me, my dissertation or parts of it are definitely not publishing material, and I never even had the idea that it would be - and this was not helped by the lack of help from my supervisor.

That said I do follow what you're saying, and as I was talking to my friend about it, I did state that my dissertation is a result of my overall university experience and skills acquired through this and knowledge gained from the course. I just don't feel that my supervisor (which I feel was a representative of the university if that makes sense) made a notable effort for her/them to in any way believe that she/them have helped shape the argument and the result.

So basically, I know you're right. But I still don't feel my supervisor should get any recognition. WHich I kinda feel she gets by it belonging to the univeristy. Don't know if it makes sense?
    Oh, I'm not bothered for my own sake I just find it slightly odd in principle.

Sadly, my dissertation is not that great.