Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i'm going into hospital....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
finally got my telemetry EEG sorted, i'm going in to hospital for at least 24 hours, maybe a bit longer. I've never been in hospital overnight apart from being in A&E on a friday night...

what should i take/do whilst in hospital?

and has anyone else had this done, and how did it go?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need night clothes, gown, slippers, clothes to go home in, lots of underwear, any medication your on, wash kit etc.

What you can do depends on what sort of tests your having done and the side effects, but reading, puzzle books, crafts (knittings a good one) are popular.
    i think they will have me in a room with flashing lights at some point, but other than that i'll probably just have to sit there all day...knitting i was planning on, i migth be able to get my skirt done!
    The usual, clean jammies, dressing gown, slippers.
    Toiletries and towel, money for payphone/cafe/newsagent.
    Book, newspaper or mag.
    Radio to listen to/or Ipod.
    Diluting juice.

You can take in food with you and they'll keep it in a fridge for you provided it's a small thing i.e sandwhich/snack/milk/fruit/juice. Make sure you mark your name and ward/room number on it or it'll go missing.

I think I remember reading you like to knit? You could knit whilst you're there, too. :)

Good luck! Hope the turn out'll be okay!
    yeah the other annoying thing is that i can't leave the unit at any time before i'm discharged. but i can have visitors...so i'm going to get everyone to coem and see me. is there such a thing as goth-ish pjs...? could be fun dressing up whilst dressing down
    yeah the other annoying thing is that i can't leave the unit at any time before i'm discharged. but i can have visitors...so i'm going to get everyone to coem and see me. is there such a thing as goth-ish pjs...? could be fun dressing up whilst dressing down

Hahaha, I dunno. Possibly! But remember comfort comes before everything! You're going to be lying about a fair bit. Also, you can ask for as many pillows as you want as well as blankets and for a cup of tea with some toast anytime!

At least that's what my Dad's done, haha. But it's not that big a request. :razz:
    Just remeber be nice to the nurses and HCA, we like nice patients ;)
    oh i'll buy a thank you card in advance....

oh it would be ace if i can get my mates to come down and see me...don't know if they will though....
    good luck.
    Bear in mind that it is very common to have items stolen when you are in hospital, last time I was in hospital as an inpatient I had two sets of expensive underwear stolen. So don't take in things you'd be mega upset if they did get stolen is my advice. Apparently it's usually 'basic' items that get stolen and it's usually by other patients.

You don't have to wear you PJs in the day if you don't want to, you are normally allowed and sometimes encouraged to ge dressed.

Take layers, warm clothes as they tend to turn the heating off in NHS hospitals based on the date rather than if it's hot or cold :rolleyes:

Things like tissues, towels or tampons, toiletries. The can sometimes be provided but in my experience they are usually horrible (the NHS sanitary towels are so thick and almost nappy like I was embarrassed to have visitors whilst wearing one and had to keep my coat on over my clothes so people couldn't see the 'bump' :blush: ) NHS tissues are cheap nasty ones that break up really easily and give me a red nose.

You might want to take some snack foods (depends on the rules for eating with what you are having done) and bear in mind that often dinner is at 5pm or 6pm so something to stop you getting really hungry plus a few things incase the food served at meal times is too gross to eat (the quality really varies between different hospitals in my experience), dried fruits, cereal bars, biscuits, nuts, that sort of thing plus maybe some fresh fruit like a banana or maybe a nice bun or something. You can tell my experiences of food in hospital has not been good can't you!? Also I found the portion sizes really really small in one hospital ward I was in an I'm hardly someone with a big appetite. Some of the wards have bread to make toast out of hours and that sort of thing but it really varies and often would run out by 7pm so then you would be really hungry until breakfast at I think 8am as we had dinner at 5pm so that's a lot of hours without eating!

Also, although there were tea and coffee available and also water, the plastic cups almost aways had run out (and it was a ward where we weren't allowed any glass or regular cups) so I would recommend taking a few of your own plastic cups just incase.

Medicines you usually take.

Usual 'overnight' kit.

I have been known to take my own blanket too but only because the seven really thin ones they'd given me meant I was still freezing clod and they'd turned the heating off despite the fact it was really cold.

Hairdryer. Some wards have them or don't like you using your own but often they don't and then you are left with cold wet hair. And towels for the bath and shower.

Hope that helps a bit. If you've got any questions then feel free to pm me or ask me in this thread.
    I don't have anything to help you with but I do hope this really helps you and they figure some things out. Good luck with it!
    well i know i have to take shampoo and conditioner cos the test i have to have done involves a gritty paste and glue being put into my hair! I've got some fruit to take and i might get a box of choccies. getting wool on tuesday, and more books. didn't find any nice PJs in peacocks/george or primark, so i shall make do with what i've got. I'm taking my sofa blanket, just so i feel a bit more comfy. i think i'll have my own side room as they have to film me -to see my movements when i ahve my fits-, and i'll lock everything in the cupboard beside the bed. don't need to worry about any sanitary stuff as my period stopped last year with the implant (hurray!), so all i think i need to do now, i find a nice mug to take and juice, some decent PJs - all mine have bleach on or are rather short!

still trying to get mates to come and see me. i've got extended visiting hours 10.30am-8pm which is cool.
    I've done the EEG test and am happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

When I ahd mine done, I was in my own room. They prefer it if you don't go out of the room, because they'll have to unplug you, and therefore it won't record your brain activity.
    You might want to take some snack foods (depends on the rules for eating with what you are having done)

To my knowledge, there are no rules whatsoever regarding eating and drinking and having an EEG, well there weren't any when I had mine done.

That paste you're having put in your hair, comes out easily with nail varinsh remover. (hurts when they rub your head though!)
    yeah i know how much it hurts from last time! and the red pencil! ARGH!

I'm still a bit worried about it all though...more about what will come of it rather than the actual test...