Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finsbury Park

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you live there?

Daft as it sounds, but its got a bit of a bad image in my mind due to Abu Hamza and it kind of puts me off the place.

But coming thru on the train (albeit at high speed :D ) it actually looks alright.

Anyone live or lived there ?

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I would definitely live there as it has some pretty nice pubs and restaurants, is close to crouch end/hill which I really like and has great transport links. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it is daft to be put off by that, even if he was still there and not in prison actually somewhere near the mosque is going to be safer in terms of bombings than far from it. Not that he has actually been convicted of any bomb related charges.

As for the area itself, its mixed, around the station and park its really quite nice, quiet in the main with nice houses, but good access to shops and all that.

Its reasonably safe (as safe as any part of London can be really) and its pretty close to the centre of town.
    Its OK - I worked there for 2 years - the plus's are that it has good transport links into town - its reasonably cheap and some of the back streets are nice and the park is nice and getting nicer.

The minus points are that some bits are not so nice and some of the estates are a bit scary - oh and some random lady got shot outside of my office which was somewhat off putting........
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote: »
    estates are a bit scary - oh and some random lady got shot outside of my office which was somewhat off putting........

:( sadly enough I'm not sure there's any part of London that doesn't have a story like that.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    The minus points are that some bits are not so nice and some of the estates are a bit scary - oh and some random lady got shot outside of my office which was somewhat off putting........

That's true of pretty much anywhere, I was really close to a shooting in downtown Toronto, which is normally as safe as Downing Street. Sometimes things just happen, Finsbury Park is pretty safe.
    I live about 10 minutes from Finsbury Park - it's nice, good food and a nice area. The Mosque Hamza took over never caused anyone any bother to be honest (enless he was outside for the TV cameras) and it's long time be retaken by the original religious leaders he ousted.
    You can tell its a decent area beacuse although there are always what my eagle eyes tell me are dealers by the Tube station, they never hassle you like at Camden.
    budda wrote: »
    You can tell its a decent area beacuse although there are always what my eagle eyes tell me are dealers by the Tube station, they never hassle you like at Camden.

Lol, last time I went to Finsbury Park we got really hassled at the tube! My best friend lives there so I go there a fair amount but I personally feel safer in Camden but probably as I'm more familiar as I live there.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Lol, last time I went to Finsbury Park we got really hassled at the tube! My best friend lives there so I go there a fair amount but I personally feel safer in Camden but probably as I'm more familiar as I live there.

Maybe its because I'm so old, they dont think I'm a good potential client.
    budda wrote: »
    Maybe its because I'm so old, they dont think I'm a good potential client.

Lol! It was funny that you made the comparison as me and my friend always complain to each other that the other ones area seems more dodgy at night than our own! I think it might just be cos we recognise the same old dodgy types that are always out in our own area so it seems safer than well, the dodgy types we don't recognise of a different area :D
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Calvin wrote: »
    But coming thru on the train (albeit at high speed :D )

You're having a laugh aren't you :lol::lol:

From what I've seen in a couple of brief visits it seems a nice area.
    I like it, it's quite a nice area and like Randomgirl, my best mate lives there so i spend quite a bit of time in the area.
    I've lived here for a year and I think it's great. Nowhere in London is 100% safe so theres always gonna be a few characters around but I don't let it bother me.
    The park is great in the summer, and theres some great pubs and interesting restaurants around the Stoud Green Road.

My favourite pub is the Faltering Fullback, its lovely. Finsbury Park has great transport links - on two tube lines, easy to get anywhere. I often walk to places at the weekend, either Camden or Upper St, wherever really. Its also quiet, I live in a residential road and you can really escape the hustle and bustle but be so close to the city. Plus its not that expensive either.