Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The abortion limit (following the IVF thread)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Oh please, change the record. You, of all people, should know that the Tory Party has always had a very wide spectrum of people in it, far more so than Labour. That's why the Tories have constantly been split on a lot of issues for many years - remember the way that Europe tore them apart for nearly a decade? For every one Tory who agrees with Nadine Dorries on this, you'll find another who disagrees. From the way you talk, one would be half forgiven for getting the impression you'd prefer some people weren't allowed to speak in this debate. I wonder why?

I didn't accuse the Conservatives of being worse than the BNP. I accused a group of people who want to impose biblical law on Britain as being worse than the BNP. Are you going to argue with that? Can you name a BNP policy that's worse than wanting to ban homosexuality, ban any criticism or Christianity, ban abortion, or ban sex outside of marriage? To be fair to Nadine Dorries, she certainly looked like she'd been decieved as the the true intentions and beliefs of these people (if you watch the link, you'll see how dishonest and keen to hide their true ideas they are), which is why I hope she comes out and distances herself from these people. Same with Norman Tebbit. My point was that if anyone had been caught on film collaborating with a non-religious bigotted organisation, they would've been absolutely slammed in the media. And so I hope that these two ministers are treated in the same way and asked to explain themselves, so we can see if they really stand for the same thing as these bigots (I assume they don't).
  • Options
    The vote has just come in, and MPs have voted against a reduction in the time limit.

I was at the Abortion Rights rally, one of the antis protestors complained that we were singing too loudly and drowning out their stuff. Bring 1000 more people next time :D
  • Options
    Are there really that many abortions at 20 weeks + anyway? I'd imagine somoene must have pretty good reasons for needing one at that stage of pregnancy.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Are there really that many abortions at 20 weeks + anyway? I'd imagine somoene must have pretty good reasons for needing one at that stage of pregnancy.

Something like 1.5% of abortions I think, not very many at all...

The argument is if it's not for a medical reason the child could survive if it was born then and there and so it's infanticide rather than terminating a pregnancy, but all medical evidence shows that at that age the baby has an extremely poor chance of survival.
  • Options
    and all the amendments lost... so good news in my opinion
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The argument is if it's not for a medical reason the child could survive if it was born then and there and so it's infanticide rather than terminating a pregnancy, but all medical evidence shows that at that age the baby has an extremely poor chance of survival.

Exactly, if and when the survival rate at 24 weeks goes noticably up then I do think we need to have another look at the time limit. But as it hasnt changed in the past 15 or so years the limit is fine where it is.
  • Options
    Exactly right. Did anyone watch Channel 4's Dispatches programme tonight? In God's Name. Showing how a large part of this latest campaign is actually being lobbied by fundamentalist Christian groups (the abortion bill and the human/animal bill).

[SNIP]

It's on Youtube now. Prepare to see the sort of indoctrination of children that the modern Catholic faith schools could only dream of.

I watched it yesterday. It's one of those shows that make you laugh and become seriously concerned all at the same time; some of the people in the show, to me anyway, were laugh-out-loud funny, but some of the scenes where the kids were being indoctrinated (one where kids were being told that someone in the OT was literally turned into salt for being a sinner) were desperately sad. You could see that many key characters in the show were clearly mentally ill.

More on topic: Limit not to change
  • Options
    More on topic: Limit not to change

Bwahahahahaha. The social conservatives lost every single vote that went to parliament over the past two days. :lol: And they had one of their campaigners on the news watching as each vote was defeated. She looked like she's swallowed a wasp.

Ah well, women are still free to choose, scientists are still free to do their job, and lesbian couples are now free to get the same IVF treatment as everyone else.
  • Options
    I see from the newstands that the Daily Mail has adopted its usual restrained and balanced approach to news on its front page.

Can't find it online (the one shown on the Sky News website is the first edition of the paper) but it has a picture of a foetus and the caption "WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF THIS BABY?" or some bullshit like that... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    (one where kids were being told that someone in the OT was literally turned into salt for being a sinner) were desperately sad.

Lot's wife? Those were the only bits I liked about Sunday school - then again I've always been more of a fan of Greek myths...
  • Options
    I think its is fine where it is, any further and we wont hear the end of it from LIFE