Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Disabled Person's Bus Pass

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can't find anything about this anywhere online.

I've had one one of these July and was given a white one, which meant I never had to pay bus fare at all. This changed in April this year. I can't find anywhere that says:
a) How much I have to pay
b) When I don't have to pay

Does anyone know please? Also, is it the same all over the country?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In London they're called Freedom Passes, maybe try looking that up?

Or call your local Council.
    It's normally the borough council that covers the area you live in, or the county council outside of the city who are responsible for bus passes.
    piccolo wrote: »
    In London they're called Freedom Passes, maybe try looking that up?

Or call your local Council.

The freedom pass scheme is slightly different to the bus pass scheme, you can be eligible for one but not the other, or for both.

I've got a freedom pass of the type which now has local buses across the UK (i.e. not just the ones in London), from what I understand it is off peak for the buses outside London, the freedom pass for disabled people already covered buses 24hrs within London although I don't know how it works for people who have the bus pass instead of the freedom pass rather than as well as.

Melian, I don't know how much the buses are, I think it would vary for the route you are doing, I assume it is the normal price during peak hours (not in London) and then free when it's off peak?

Sorry if that's all a bit rambly, I've not caught a non-London bus for many years.
    Just found the small print on mine:

"Outside of London... travel free between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays"

And also,

"Some bus operators may accept travel at additional times. Please check with the relevant bus company"

And...

"For information on bus services outside London please contact Travel Line on 0871 200 22 33"

(Although bear in mind it probably costs loads to call that number and there is probbly a local number for your bus company that will be able to help you).

Hope that helps :)
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've got a freedom pass of the type which now has local buses across the UK (i.e. not just the ones in London), from what I understand it is off peak for the buses outside London, the freedom pass for disabled people already covered buses 24hrs within London although I don't know how it works for people who have the bus pass instead of the freedom pass rather than as well as.

From what I've been told, it's the same for the bus pass I have.

Thanks everyone.