Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self assesment fine?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was fined £204 for not completing a self assesment (tax year ending april 2007)

However i was employed during that year and didnt get no work through self employed, my mother says she phoned the tax office to inform them?

Do i have a leg to stand on or have i got to pay the fine???

Comments

• Options
    UPDATE: Just spoke to my mother she said she wrote to them in 2006 and informed them in not self employed!....

Weird thing is theyve not contacted me till now?
  • Options
    they may still require you to fill out a self-assessment anyway but I don't think they can fine you more than you owed them in tax. Phone them up yourself and see.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    they may still require you to fill out a self-assessment anyway but I don't think they can fine you more than you owed them in tax. Phone them up yourself and see.

They can fine you for unpaid tax, plus interest plus the fines for not filing the forms on time (£100 automatically if you dont file it by 31st January the following year)

Even if you are employed during the tax year, you may still be required to fill out a self assessment form.

Give the helpline a ring, the quicker you get it sorted the better. They should also be able to give you a breakdown of the fine.
  • Options
    They can fine you for unpaid tax, plus interest plus the fines for not filing the forms on time (£100 automatically if you dont file it by 31st January the following year)

Which supports my theory that if you don't owe them any tax, the fine is void, surely? And then, assuming that his tax during employment has been paid up to date and correctly through PAYE or whatever, he doesn't have to pay the fine or the interest on the fine.
  • Options
    Even if your due a refund and dont file a required self assement tax return on time you get fined. Its an unfair rule, but one HMRC tend to be quite strict on.

You can be in employment all year on PAYE, not owe any tax and still have to file a tax return for one reason or another (company director/some high earners etc).
  • Options
    I know they issue the fine but I still think you don't have to pay any more in fines than you owe in tax. I get fined every year, never paid it though...
  • Options
    does everyone have to do a self assesment each year?
  • Options
    nope, most people don't. If you are or have been self employed or a company director then you do.
  • Options
    Every April/May the Inland Revenue send out letters (which look like a big page of green :confused: ) to say that they "think it's time to start asking you to fill out tax returns"

They can do this to anyone, maybe because at some point you were self employed, you were a director of a company but earnt no income etc etc.

I'm a trainee accountant and deal with a lot of tax returns and HMRC are pretty damn good at making sure to send people initial letters, reminders and eventually fines if you miss the deadline.

The helpline's a good option, ask them when they sent letters out to you. Either way, if they want one, you're STILL going to have to fill a Tax Return for the year ended 5th April 2007 out.

If they're requested one and you didn't fill it in because u didn't know you had too, it's going to be pretty hard to get out of the £100 fine, but if you fill in the Tax Return and you don't actually owe them any tax, they'll probably drop the surcharge/interest/estimated tax
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I got fined. I just paid it.
    But that was because I deserved it for being lazy.
    Weekender Offender