Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Attempted ban on embyro research fails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sanity prevails. :yippe:
A cross-party attempt to outlaw the creation of hybrid human-animal embryos has been defeated by MPs, by 336 votes to 176.

Comments

• Options
    Just wanted to say who ever is against this research is actually doing the biggest crime in human history.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say who ever is against this research is actually doing the biggest crime in human history.

Bit of hyperbole isn't given that we've had the Holocaust, Rwanda, Gulags and Cliff Richard dueting with the Young Ones
  • Options
    Bit of hyperbole isn't given that we've had the Holocaust, Rwanda, Gulags and Cliff Richard dueting with the Young Ones

Yah i know its not a bit but too much exaggeration but the anti to this research look to have no common sense so i can say that only them. If one of their child go through those disease which this research at the end can cure, why not they can think in that respect.
  • Options
    Great news.
  • Options
    Yah i know its not a bit but too much exaggeration but the anti to this research look to have no common sense so i can say that only them. If one of their child go through those disease which this research at the end can cure, why not they can think in that respect.

First of all I should state I think this research should go ahead.

But I find it odd that you can not understand the moral arguments on the flip side. Embryos are entities which some people take very seriously.

Plus of course there is the wider moral argument as to whether we should actually treat every disease, there's far too many of us already.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Plus of course there is the wider moral argument as to whether we should actually treat every disease, there's far too many of us already.
    Sure there are. But it's far better, and far more appropriate from an ethical/moral point of view to cut down on the number of new births through education and more widespread use of contraception than to simply prevent cures for illnesses and conditions, neglect healthcare and fail to continuously improve the quality of life of people.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Sure there are. But it's far better, and far more appropriate from an ethical/moral point of view to cut down on the number of new births through education and more widespread use of contraception than to simply prevent cures for illnesses and conditions, neglect healthcare and fail to continuously improve the quality of life of people.

I'd agree with that. I guess I was just pointing out that this issue is complex and those who oppose it arent mass murderers or fanatics.

I'm personally quite uneasy about 'saviour siblings' but thats a seperate issue.