Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Today, I almost fainted.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hmm..

Was helping the nice doctor with a lovely patients kidney biopsy. Was fine during the whole aseptic non-touch procedure where I have to pass Mr Doc his stuff without him touching it.

Patient was locally anesthetized (or so I thought!). Doc pricks him with some sharp device, patient says he can't feel it. I'm feeling fine at this point, feel a bit light headed but nothing major.

Then the biopsy device gets inserted and patient says he can still feel it!! Thats what did it. Colour just drained from my face, I had a complete body sweat (eww) in bucket loads and I thought I was going to be sick EVERYWHERE!!

It was horrid. Told doc I'd have to get someone else, after he had kept asking if I was okay. Asked HCA to take over whilst I walked to the loo in a zombie state.:eek2:

Seriously, I've never felt like that ever.

And it was only a minor, on ward, procedure. I think it's fair to say if I ever have a surgical placement, I may be sick a few times before I get used to it.

:blush::blush:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Was it because you knew they could feel it? Maybe it would be easier in theatre, since the patient will be under a general anaesthetic?

It will no doubt get a lot easier!
  • Options
    Lol it's so embaressing when that happens!

It's happened to me only once up to now though! It was in a GP's practice and I was in the clininc with the GP and the nurse, it was last summer when it was really really hot. I'm so squemish about moles and this man was having a dock-off, massive mole removed and that with the smell of burning skin made me go :blush: :sour:
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Hmm..

And it was only a minor, on ward, procedure. I think it's fair to say if I ever have a surgical placement, I may be sick a few times before I get used to it.

:blush::blush:

Surgical's not that bad you know! Unless you go to see the op's then it can get a bit grusome...but I love all that! Although be prepared when going to see orthopedic op's, it's shocking some of the things they can do to a bone :eek2:

Generally though sergical wards are quite tame unless you get a dehissed wound or something.
  • Options
    I dont know much about the medical industry but I'm sure you will get used to it and become desensitised. I hope you don't feel bad about it or anything. I'm really squeemish especially watching CSI :blush:
  • Options
    I think sometimes it can be a situation that makes you go rather than it being the queasy feeling of something specific.

I work in gynae theatres and am not in the slightest bit squeamish however when I first experienced a theatre atmosphere I nearly fainted... there were lots of people in there at the time and I was out of my comfort zone but I certainly wasn't being put off by what I saw!

I think you will be absolutely fine, just need more experience outside of your comfort zone :) Oh, and remember deep breaths if you do feel yourself go funny!
  • Options
    I'm glad most think it won't happen to me all the time!! I can't be shaming myself like that on every shift..

Splodgey, I tried deep breathing, didn't seem to work for me?!
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    I'm glad most think it won't happen to me all the time!! I can't be shaming myself like that on every shift..

Splodgey, I tried deep breathing, didn't seem to work for me?!

If you find your heart rate going a bit doolally when you go faint then try something called 7/11 breathing... breathe in for the count of 7 and out for the count of 11... helps regain the balance of breathing properly!

The other thing I sometimes do if I am feeling a bit ropey is make sure I sit down between patients (i know it's not always possible!).

Ooo another thing is to make sure you eat properly and drink plenty - if you don't it will definately make any queasyness worse!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've seen corneal flaps lifted, all good fun:yuck:
  • Options
    Happens to the best of us ;) I can handle brutal orthopods, lower GI surgery etc but I almost fainted when I watched sutures being done.