Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do I stay or do I go?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been working for the same employer for just over a year and a half now. I asked them about having time off in June as I have my A levels and I've been told that I'm meant to be allowed time off for exams. I heard nothing so asked another member of management if they could find out for me. I tried to explain my situation and said that unfortunately I would be forced to hand in my notice if I didn't get some time off as my exams are more important than a job I'll be leaving come Sept anyway. When I came in the next day they said they were treating it as me threatening/blackmailing the company into giving me time off and they were still not sure if they would give me the time. They are taking the attitude of 'you may as well quit if that's how you're going to be' but are having a meeting this weekend to decide for sure what is going to happen. I offered to compromise ie work 1 day a weekend and not the other but they're not listening. Additionally I found out that they are taking me off my Fri night shift permanently as we 'aren't taking enough money' even though I have done this shift for a good 4 months longer than my colleague has even been working there (I think the fact that I've just turned 18 and they now have to pay me more may be a factor.) To top it all off, my line manager accused me of not pulling my weight with regards to cover but A) they knew I was in education when they hired me and B) I was covering on Mon and not getting any extra money despite it being a bank hol. If they wanted flexible staff they should not hire young people so they can get away with paying us peanuts as the majority of our young staff, who in themselves are the majority, are still in education of some form.Ragh, in short I am angry, upset and offended by the way this has all happened. Sorry for the rant but I'm confused as to what the best course of action is.Thanking ye greatly.xXx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly, I'm not sure that employers HAVE to give you time off for your Exams. Most places would insist you use any holiday entitlement you have to take these days off, or for you to take the day unpaid.

Personally, I would write a letter to your manager or the manager of your section or whatever saying that you require the time off and wouldn't mind taking it unpaid or swapping shifts with someone.
    If youve got holiday left, ask to take that.

Everyone is entitled to 4 weeks holiday a year. If they really won't give you the unpaid leave then quit. You never know, if you go back after your exams, they may have you back, depending on how desperate they are!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Simmyluvsu wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm not sure that employers HAVE to give you time off for your Exams
    My ex employer were always more than happy to tell me that they 'only gave me time off exams because they had to' so who knows.
    Its actually gone up to 24 days a year. and this october goes up to 28 days a year

but yes, use your holiday
    I have my full holiday but they said they weren't sure if they could grant it due to other people having holiday then and there not being enough people willing/able to cover. I did offer to have it unpaid but they don't seem to be listening. Guess just wait and see the outcome of the meeting then quit if need be.

As for taking me back, someone else did that last year and they wouldn't take them back even though we were desperate for staff...

'tis a mighty shame, but ah well.

Thank you!

xXx
    My advice would just to be firm and stick to your guns. I've had LOTS of retail experience and I know they do try and take advantage of younger people. Firstly as you've said you're in education and you are not obliged to cover anyone else's shifts; you do the hours you are contracted and that is all you have to do so don't take any comments about your inflexibility too personally.

Secondly, do you not have holiday forms or anything you can fill out? You seem to be getting nowhere talking to people so I would put your request in writing if possible with dates and say that you are willing to take it paid or unpaid but that you need the time off. I'm not sure where you stand with being allowed time off for exams because your exams don't clash with the times you are working do they?

Also if you can possibly afford it it might be best to just hand in your notice, especially if you are planning on leaving in August anyway. Chances are it will save you a lot of hassle which is the last thing you need with exams coming up. Hope your meeting goes okay anyway, just stay brave and don't let them talk down to you, be professional and hopefully things will turn out okay!
    Ah, knowing my luck they will say I've left it too late if I try to put in a holiday request now...even though I spoke to the facility manager over Easter.

No, my exams don't clash with the days but as there's one day with 3 exams on it then later on I have 5 papers over 3 days, I'd like some time to prepare myself properly, especially seeing as during AS and in my Jan modules this year I did not take time off despite working 11-8 on Sundays and having Monday exams.

I think the meeting was meant to be yesterday but as nobody told me officially and I had the weekend off, there's not much to be done yet, doubt they even had a meeting (it's not just me with this problem, most of my dept wants time off in June...) however, they did manage to phone me up to ask me to work last night despite me having said time off :banghead:

I think I may look in to temping but if the situation isn't resolved soon I may have to hand in my notice, which is a shame really. I'm not asking for much considering 1 of my colleagues takes 3 weeks off everytime they have exams and the company grant it.

xXx
    Well if they are treating other people differently then that's clearly unfair and shouldn't be allowed. But realisitically most contracts only allow you to take holiday when it's operationally possible, not just whenever you like. So you may be stuck and you may have to quit, yes.
    Mist wrote: »
    Well if they are treating other people differently then that's clearly unfair and shouldn't be allowed. But realisitically most contracts only allow you to take holiday when it's operationally possible, not just whenever you like. So you may be stuck and you may have to quit, yes.

I understand about it being operationally possible but we are going into our quiet time now, so much so that I was sent home early due to surplus staff today, and it will only get worse.

I have found the atmosphere to be rather on the arctic side of late and to make matters worse, nobody from management has spoken to me about the situation, instead they decided to interrogate members of my dept on the matter. Luckily for me, those in my dept actually pay attention to the kind of person I am and know that what was said by me was taken back to management completely misconstrued.

*Sigh*

On the other hand, I've applied for a Summer temp position and the situation looks quite promising :)

xXx