Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ecstasy and beta-blockers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dunno wether this should be here or in drugs but feel free to tell me to move it,

if you took ecstasy and beta-blockers would it be any more risky than just taking ecstacy?

i know it isnt safe to mix drugs yardy yardy ya i just wanted to know if anyone knew any info on the subject.

cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know but you are more likely to get advice in the drugs forum for this one.
    Nope...it would be a very silly thing to do mixing those two.
    why? what would the possible effects be?
    It'll put a lot of strain on your heart. I'm not saying you'll die but you're running a tight rope.
    would it be imediate harm like you would keel over there and then or long term harm?

cheers for the reply by the way
    What are you on the beta-blockers for?
    its not for me its for my mate,

im not sure why he's on them, he is very cagey about things like this. the only reason i know what he is on is because we tried to ring nhs direct to ask them on sat night but they only rang us back sun afternoon by which point he had already taken them.

i was getting worried last night because i hadnt heard from him since
    You could check www.erowid.org they might have something.
    cheers fo your help
    I'm on beta blockers and still do ecstacy, although I'm not saying it's ok. I don't take the beta blockers all the time though, so not everyday.
    I assume it's not good because they're having opposite effects, the ecstacy speeds your heart up whilst the beta blockers slow it down. I imagine that causes strain, dependent on how much ecstacy you were taking.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but arent you prescribed beta-blockers for conditions which wouldnt go all that well with MDMA even if the drugs dont directly interact?
    All the advice not to mix the two is absolutely correct.

The extent of interaction has a lot to do with the type of beta blocker – some are “mild” and are used to block panic attacks, but the majority control more serious cardiac/blood vessel functions related to migraines, high blood pressure and chest pain. If you’re taking them for cardiac reasons, you risk losing control of your blood pressure or heartbeat since the amphetamine aspect of ecstasy can increase both. If you’re taking beta blockers for panic attacks, ecstasy can trigger panic attacks so again you’re asking for trouble.

If you’re pre-disposed to medical problems that require beta-blockers, you might want to think twice about using any stimulant - and it’s not likely you’ll be in a position to ask your doctor for advice (assuming you’re under a doctor’s care as many people take them illicitly). Also, beta blockers can cause depression – something else you need to think about with the down side of ecstasy.
    i was on mild beta blockers for some time for my panic attacks, my aunt is also on them for high blood pressure and migranes. I know because shes on them she can't take most medicines like decongestants and stuff...its not advised you mix them with most things.
    it was proparonolol (or something like that) im not sure how strong they are or anything but iv spoken to him and he is alive and well :)

stupid boy
    Probably for panic/anxiety then.
    melanie wrote:
    it was proparonolol (or something like that) im not sure how strong they are or anything but iv spoken to him and he is alive and well :)

stupid boy
    yep thats the stuff i was on. it comes in different strengths. he's a bit of a wally to be mixing them with drugs though.
    usually he is really good, doesnt have caffine or anything.

i think he just got a bit caught up in the night out and the fact that everyone bar us 2 was caned.

ahh well he's ok and thats all that matters
    bongbudda wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but arent you prescribed beta-blockers for conditions which wouldnt go all that well with MDMA even if the drugs dont directly interact?

You're right, but if you think about it in the sense of beta-blockers being prescribed for anxiety disorders, many sufferers use drugs, especially drugs like exstacy and cocaine, as a way to combat their anxiety themselves.
    In my case, I'm not on them for anxiety, just on a mild version as I get heart palpitations quite frequently, so only take them when I need them.
    I take ecstasy or mdma every couple of weeks, however I'v recently been having panic attacks, the doctor said this may be a reaction to a life changing experience I had. I've been put on half beta-prograne 80mg and I took my first capsule today. However I want to go out and get smashed on friday with Mdma, but I don't know how much of a good idea this is.

I know what I'm on for my panic attacks must be mild, because they've just started me out on it, but I don't want to spaz out in a club if you catch my drift.

Any advice would be pure magic

cheers
    If you are suffering from panic attacks then doing MDMA isnt going to do that any good. Totally aside from the possible interaction I wouldnt recommend it.
    By taking ecstacy you're just going to give yourself more panic attacks so what's the point in even taking the medication in the first place? Why don't you lay off the drugs for a while, the buzz is better that way anyway.
    I haven't done ecstasy or mdma in over a month and a half, simply due to the fact that I haven't been able to get my hands on any, and i've been pretty busy, thats the longest I've ever been without taking any. The panic attack have been happening for about three weeks now. I'm unsure, I totally forget about the panic attacks sometimes because they only affect me in cartain situations, its just ive been so busy lately, and all I want to do is go out and have fun with my friends. The medication I said I was put on in my last post gave me a really bad reaction as well. Last night I just felt run down, shiver, sick and basically left me unable to do anything, so it looks like its back to the docs to try something new, I think he said the next thing to try was Diazepam which is only to be taken at the time of an attack.

Thanks for the advice though, I didnt expect such a quick reply. so, cheers.
    Sorry for bringing up such an old thread BUT have somebody been on bopindolol /beta blockator in medicine called sandonorm 1mg/ and tried E?
    they put me on beta blockers once they give me severe pains in the testicles and they had to take me off them:eek2:
    anone wrote: »
    they put me on beta blockers once they give me severe pains in the testicles and they had to take me off them:eek2:

how does this contribute to the subject?
    the funny things beta blocker can do with out xtc
    What? I don't get it...
    You can do beta blockers without XTC? Ofcourse you can! It's a medication,not a drug...
    Im pretty sure beta blockers actually cancel out a lot of the effects of ecstasy too, so a bit pointless also.
    PAvelo wrote: »
    What? I don't get it...
    You can do beta blockers without XTC? Ofcourse you can! It's a medication,not a drug...
    you cant seem to grasp what i am saying i am saying why take xtc when beta blockers already as a shed load of side effects so you take xtc on top of it and bingo an whole load of shit your in take it from me its not fun having a bad trip

been there seen it done it got the cap t shirt the keyring and the video
    I can only assume you are on beta-blockers for a good reason, taking a strong stimulant like MDMA isnt going to be a wise idea regardless of whether they interact (which they may well do).